Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Collective Wisdom on GF IPAs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #21
spaced
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
I just took a hydrometer sample of my 2nd attempt at spaced's recipe, I'm at target FG (1.012), and holy crap is this good beer. I brewed the original recipe, modified ever so slightly by adding a pound of amber candi syrup (D-45) and the zest of half a grapefruit (at flameout). Gonna add the dry hops today and bottle next weekend, but I really gotta say, I've never had something taste this good straight out of primary. I think my general techniques are improving (full-wort boils, quick immersion chilling, no hop bags, healthy yeast), but honestly this is the first beer of my own I've ever tasted that was *good* right out of the primary. It's gonna be smashing, for sure! So glad I dumped the first batch and re-brewed.
That's excellent that it's going so well. I'm looking at doing a nice light pale ale with orange peel on the weekend as my next brew.

I'll rebrew my original ipa recipe soon with Ahatnum hops I've now got in the freezer. Interested how they go vs cascade. Also I've brewed this recipe with S-33. It must have gotten warm during the bottle carbonation. I've got huge bannana coming off it and it's defintely a Belgian IPA.

My gluten free home brewing blog.
http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/

Drinking: Hopped Honey IPA
Fermenting: 2 Ciders with S-33 Yeast, Summer Pale Ale and a West Coast IPA
Planning: Belgian Triple, Blood Orange Wit and American IPA

All gluten free.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #22
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Cracked the first bottle of this tonight. Only 8 days, and it's perfectly carbed with a nice tawny head and great retention, lacing even! I don't want to toot my own horn too much, but this beer is absolutely killer. Easily better than the best off-the-shelf GF beers, heck, it's right on par with Deschutes' gluten-free NWPA (that I was fortunate enough to sample at their brewpub on my way to Seattle last week).

However, I dare say it could be hoppier. If I brewed it again, I'd want to really crank up the IBUs, maybe include a 30-minute and 25-minute addition. The grapefruit came through smashingly, and even my non-gf-gf (non-gluten-free girlfriend) was amazed at the flavor.

I can't believe it came from my kitchen! I really gotta thank you guys, spaced especially, for getting me on the right track. If I can consistently hit this level of quality, I might consider going pro...cuz this batch beats the pants off New Planet, Green's, even St. Peter's (to say nothing of Red Bridge!).

Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #23
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

What's the recipe Igliashon? Congrats--that is a great feeling. I just cracked the first bottle of my PA IPA the other night...even half-carbed it was better than the New Planet in my fridge. It is a good feeling!

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #24
spaced
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

@igliashon I'm very glad it's working out for you. I definitely think IPA's lend themselves well to gluten free beer.

I'm very grateful for the early adopter's who've shared their info on here. I've gleaned a wealth of information from others on this site.

All gluten free.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced View Post
@igliashon I'm very glad it's working out for you. I definitely think IPA's lend themselves well to gluten free beer.

I'm very grateful for the early adopter's who've shared their info on here. I've gleaned a wealth of information from others on this site.
This is something I agree with. My best beers so far have been Belgian or British styles. I'm not sure any I've made quite qualify for an IPA status, though my ESB (which isn't quite ready yet) is more hoppy than a regular pale ale...

It seems so obvious, but beer that are maltier are going to taste funny when you use a different malt, while beers that are dominated by hops, yeast, or additive flavors are going to taste more normal...

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 05-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #26
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

@spaced, this site is truly a treasure-trove of knowledge; I reckon we are at the bleeding edge of brewing, so having a pool of knowledge to draw on is absolutely invaluable. It would be cool to do a quarterly summary of our successes and failures, and archive them somewhere as a sort of distillation of the discussions on here, making it more accessible than the current (somewhat chaotic) state of things. I might give a go at that as I get more organized.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #27
frothdaddy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
@spaced, this site is truly a treasure-trove of knowledge; I reckon we are at the bleeding edge of brewing, so having a pool of knowledge to draw on is absolutely invaluable. It would be cool to do a quarterly summary of our successes and failures, and archive them somewhere as a sort of distillation of the discussions on here, making it more accessible than the current (somewhat chaotic) state of things. I might give a go at that as I get more organized.
This would be hugely helpful for those of us that are just getting into GF brewing ... although considering how much work it would be, I can see why it hasn't been done yet.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #28
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

A wiki-spaces page might be a good way to do it, that way we could all contribute as we feel like it. I'll look into that.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 AM   #29
thanantos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon
A wiki-spaces page might be a good way to do it, that way we could all contribute as we feel like it. I'll look into that.
This is an excellent idea, and I am more than happy to help out.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #30
spaced
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

BUMP!ing this old thread.

Just cracked this beer a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd share the recipe. **** it's good

http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com.au...in-at-ipa.html

All gluten free.

Quick Reply