Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Clarity-Ferm, Gluten Testing, and Gluten Sensitivity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #31
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbay76 View Post
I just want to make sure everyone knows that Proline is not a protein, its an amino acid. It can be combined with other amino acids to form a protein but this statement from igliashon "Proline is the main protein implicated..." i simply not true. I' sure it was a type and he/she meant to say the proline rich peptide, but even if he/she did not mean to write it, the truth is the truth. Proline is an amino acid, not a protein
exactly, I said the same thing two posts up. From my reading there are peptides (possibly just one) that causes the disease. Clarity-Ferm seems to degrade those peptides this preventing the reaction

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #32
bumstigedy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have been using clarity ferm for about the last 6 months. The beers have turned out fine. My IIPA brewed with it even won a few first places. I haven't noticed the beers to be any clearer though. I don't have a gluten allergy, but just trying to eliminate it as I have gone Paleo.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #33
jbay76
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry EKJohns, when I first read the first posting I had to write the clarification, so forgive me for not seeing yours and "liking" it. I'll go back and "like" yours though. And yes, the antigenic response is a result of the proline rich peptides that results from our enzymatic breakdown of gliadin and hordien. The science shows that the endoprotease in clarity ferm breaks these proline rich peptides into smaller peptide fragments that do not bind to our intestinal epithelium, "essentially" rendering it harmless. Interestingly enough, both barley and wheat have the same percentage of proline, ~17% of the protein content. Cheers

Drink more, care less

deliberate Likes This 
Old 11-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #34
Ste1ny
Recipes 

I apologize if this has already been answered, however I've been searching and haven't really found a solid answer.

Has anyone who has used Clarity Ferm noticed any difference in taste at all? I know that it's advertised to not mess with the taste at all, but before attempting to use, I'm trying to research and find info from people with experience. So far I haven't found anyone who has said there was any noticeable difference in the final taste of the brew.

Thansk

Old 11-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #35
dirtybear7
Recipes 

Beer tasted great. It seemed even better because it was super clear. Don't hesitate to use it. I don't have gluten issues. I just like clear beer sometimes.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #36
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbay76 View Post
Sorry EKJohns, when I first read the first posting I had to write the clarification, so forgive me for not seeing yours and "liking" it. I'll go back and "like" yours though. And yes, the antigenic response is a result of the proline rich peptides that results from our enzymatic breakdown of gliadin and hordien. The science shows that the endoprotease in clarity ferm breaks these proline rich peptides into smaller peptide fragments that do not bind to our intestinal epithelium, "essentially" rendering it harmless. Interestingly enough, both barley and wheat have the same percentage of proline, ~17% of the protein content. Cheers
Well, "the science" at this point is all hypothetical in terms of how it will impact those with celiac disease. The 20 ppm threshold is not a magic number, and even in the initial (small sample size and weak design) study that led to the promotion of that threshold, there were subjects who reacted at less than 10 ppm. In fact, a review of the literature leads to the strong conclusion that that 20 ppm number is not based on good science, because there is just very little research out there trying to replicate the results of the first study. And, I might add, the studies are only focused on biopsy-positive celiac patients; there are other forms of gluten intolerance that may operate on different pathophysiological mechanisms, which are still being investigated.

Furthermore, while clarex-treated beers can pass the R5 competitive ELISA, the hypothesis that that makes them safe for celiacs has not actually been tested. For these beers to truly be considered safe, they should be subject to the same FDA standards as any product making a health claim. Currently I am not aware of *any* in vivo studies demonstrating the safety of these beers in randomized double-blind controlled trials.

I am aware of roughly equal amounts of anecdotal evidence supporting both sides (that they do or that they don't cause a reaction), which is not surprising considering it is a known fact that celiac sufferers vary in sensitivity and severity of reaction symptoms, and also that gluten intolerance is significantly over-diagnosed in the general population (mostly due to mistake self-diagnoses or over-zealous alternative medicine practitioners and fad-diet health gurus). The placebo and nocebo effects absolutely SHOULD NOT be discounted!

I would do well to let my argument rest on the above alone, I think, rather than my feeble layman's attempt at deciphering the food chemistry of brewing with Clarex.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #37
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Great thread. Bump and subscribe.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #38
spennyj
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by major67986 View Post
I whole-heartedly agree with this. While there may be no physical, noticeable reaction, there can still be damage to the intestine and inflammation. These can lead to long term health issues.

For example, I have been struggling personally with over all body inflammation (measured by the C-reactive protein blood test). If this remains at high levels long term I'm told by my doctors that it can lead to serious issues like h eart disease.
Yeah, but if you are not having visable/noticable physical reactions to a product. What makes you think that product is contributing to your inflammation or blood test at all?

Seems to me that they would almost always go hand in hand. If not always. Couldn't the tests be turning up other products or issues?

I ask because Corona seems to have no effect on me. While usually the smallest amount of gluten absolutely destroys me. Even Omission has a really bad effect on me.

Seems to me that there may be more than 1 or 2 slightly different disorders in play with this. Along with a lot of self diagnosing and flat out misdiagnosing by our incompetent medical professionals. Intestinal overgrowth may be a disorder that many are calling celiac or gluten intolerance ....and may in fact have slightly different causes or treatments but similar symptoms.

Reason: forgot to add

Old 12-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #39
CavemanDom
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

So I was wandering around the Internet for various gf beer recipes and came across a rather large recipe database, with a variety of amphibian in their name. What I noticed is A LOT of the recipes labeled as GF by their OPs either used clarity ferm or a liquid yeast. This particular site doesn't have a forum, just comments per recipe. Does anyone else participate over there? Is anyone reading this one of the OPs I am side-eyeing? On the other hand, some of the recipes looked like they would be pretty good and safe, aside from the 1# of 2-row...etc

I noticed my LHBS website has fine print on clarity ferm stating it is not 100% gluten removal and not for those with celiac... So that's a comfort, although last time I was in there when someone suggested it, I got looked at like I was crazy.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #40
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Great thread. I'm not GF, but the wife is, and she would straight up shank someone for a decent GF dry stout. I'm going to try Clarity Ferm as soon as my LHBS places their next White Labs order.

Quick Reply