Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Clarity-Ferm, Gluten Testing, and Gluten Sensitivity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
ChasidicCalvinist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It seems like I keep repeating myself so putting it here in the sticky works well. FWIW: an absence of a reaction does not imply an absence of damage to your body.

Corona is supposedly gluten free, according to wikipedia. I'll not touch it.

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
major67986
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasidicCalvinist View Post
It seems like I keep repeating myself so putting it here in the sticky works well. FWIW: an absence of a reaction does not imply an absence of damage to your body.

Corona is supposedly gluten free, according to wikipedia. I'll not touch it.
I whole-heartedly agree with this. While there may be no physical, noticeable reaction, there can still be damage to the intestine and inflammation. These can lead to long term health issues.

For example, I have been struggling personally with over all body inflammation (measured by the C-reactive protein blood test). If this remains at high levels long term I'm told by my doctors that it can lead to serious issues like h eart disease.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
pintail78
Recipes 

Yes thats true. Its a personal choice. For me I have GI, nutritional, and stomach issues on gluten, they go away completely if I'm off it. If those symptoms/conditions don't come back Im good with that. I have regular osteoporous tests (as I developed it, and after 5 years GF its nearly gone and I;'m skiing again!), and full endocrine suites yearly which are normal. I also have my regular endoscope/upper GI in a few weeks and I will see if theres any inflamation in the small intestine, but so far none of the symptoms/conditions have come back or stopped improving.

Basically, I don't think we understand celiacs disease very well. To say this or that may be a problem (like the occasional corona) its true, but may or may not be significant for each individual. Considering the cross contamination and labeling issues there plenty of things you probably think are GF that are not. That may be the largest source of error out there. As I said its all very personal in terms of your bodies reactions and choices you can make. Most of us with CD are trying to live as normally as we can and not harm our body.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
pintail78
Recipes 

One final note, if your having symptoms like a high C-reative protein or things other symptoms associated with gluten, I would suggest consuming no gluten-meaning prepare whole foods all by yourself and consuming nothing prepared. Everyone is different so see if that helps, it may even be something else.

One of the best tests for me was my bone density. I developed osteoporosis from CD, my bone density has steadily improved over the last five years, I get it checked every 18 months. My last test put my hips at normal, and my lower back from osteoporosis to close to normal. My last test showed the most significant improvement of all. That means I am fully absorbing nutrients, in fact other nutrient related symptoms have gone completely away.

I had these wierd nail symptoms (like black nail spikes in my fingernails), and geographic tongue. The geographic tongue went away completely, I had an acupuncturist treat me for it said I had high acidity levels.....that was about 15 years ago......we know a lot more about it now........nope it was CD.

I'm just stoked to be getting healthier and better in so many ways!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 AM   #15
MrMcPeach
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lack of reaction probably means something though right? My wife eats a tiny bit of bread by mistake and has a clear reaction. All my beer is made with clarity ferm and she has zero noticeable reaction to it.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #16
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Bell curve, man. Bell curve. Your wife should still get checked periodically, even if not reacting. As I said, some people can tolerate beers made with clarity ferm just fine, but others can't. And you can't really know till you try.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
dirtybear7
Recipes 

Just wondering if anyone has had further experience with Clarity-Ferm, good or bad? I have a friend with gluten issues. I know she was able to enjoy an Omission beer without adverse reaction. I'd love to make a batch I could share with her. I already know she hates the sorghum beers she has tried.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Well like I said, I can tolerate one or two Omissions without too much trouble, it might be worth the experiment for you (provided you don't mind drinking the results if she can't tolerate it). Go for a lighter-gravity beer with no wheat in the grist, and maybe even try adding some gluten-free adjuncts to spice it up a bit. Nothing wrong with using some certified-GF oats, flaked quinoa, rice/corn, etc. Just make sure to do a proper cereal mash, prior to mashing in with your base malt.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
major67986
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry, totally forgot to follow up after getting the test results from Microbac. The GF Pumpkin beer I brewed (all barley based) came back <10 ppm. I attached the certificate for any that are curious. I have since brewed 3 or 4 more all barley grain beers with Clarity Ferm. Though, I don't get these tested...

With that said, like igliashon, you may only be able to tolerate one or two without feeling any symptoms. I don't have notable reactions to gluten, so it is hard to say how I'm doing with the beers, but I try to limit my consumption of these to a couple at a time. The test cannot detect below 10 ppm, so there can still be gluten in the beer. So, the more you have, the more potential gluten you are ingesting. Even if its one or two every day...

File Type: pdf Microbac GF CERTIFICATE_public.pdf (219.1 KB, 251 views)
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

Although oats can be classified as gluten free they still have a protein called avenin which is very similar to wheat gluten and can cause a reaction in some celiac sufferers.
GF oats are oats that have been processed in an environment without wheat, barley or rye, they have not had their normal avenin protein removed.

Quick Reply