HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Clarity Ferm - Bottling Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
igliashon
Gluten-Freek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Hey, I hope I'm not coming off as overly skeptical or offensive; I'm just trying to do due diligence here. The more details you can give about your friends and their experiences, the more compelling your case may be--consider this "peer review"! I know this isn't a scientific journal, but until the scientists catch up to us and do some double-blind controlled trials, we're all we've got for research. So I hope you'll forgive my incisive questioning--I'm just trying to learn as much from you as I can!

That said, I'd love to know more--like what gluten-free beers they've reacted to in the past, what your beer recipe looked like (specifically, the grain bill and gravities), and what happens when they drink enough to get intoxicated. As I've said, a 12 oz bottle of Omission often doesn't trigger a reaction in gluten-intolerant folks, leading them to think it's safe, but then they down a few more, and spend the rest of the evening in the loo (it's been my personal experience with Omission, as well, though I can't rule out the nocebo effect at this point).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Absolutely. My tests were not vast and extensive. I did the gluten test (twice), it tested under 5ppm, and said "Here ya go, good luck!". The only gluten free beer that one of them reacted to (that I know of) is Redbridge I think (one of the AB gluten free brews). Ommission doesnt effect him, though I dont know how much he drinks when he does (we dont live in the same state anymore). I do know that normal brews do affect him (that loo thing) in small quantities (one 12oz bottle). The other friend drinks gluten free beer somewhat often, and I havent heard of any reactions. The beers are from a NW brewery (WA or OR), and has a tractor on the label I believe; they're a dedicated GF brewery (I cant remember the brewery name). Friend #1 sounded like he got well intoxicated, friend #2 did not.

Here's the grain bill I used (American Brown):

10lbs - 2-row
2lb Munich
.75lbs Crystal 80
.75lbs - Chocolate malt
.75lbs - Special B
.75lbs - Biscuit Malt

O.G. 1.078
F.G. 1.013
Primed with table sugar
I did add cacao nibs and vanilla (extract) to the secondary if it matters.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
igliashon
Gluten-Freek
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Ah, thank you...very good data points. Interesting that one friend reacts to Redbridge (AB-Inbev's sorghum-based gluten-free beer, which is processed in dedicated facilities and is gluten-free from start to finish), but not Omission. My guess is he didn't actually react to the Redbridge, but to something else he consumed with it, because if he did react to Redbridge, it was not a gluten-caused reaction. The beer your other friend drinks would be Harvester, and they use sorghum, oats, and chestnuts rather than barley (some of their brews are quite tasty, actually). I would definitely be curious to see how either of your friends fare with larger portions; your recipe is quite malty, and higher gravity than Omission.

I am considering doing a brew using mostly GF grains but either steeping some crystal or using some 6-row to convert the mash, and then using Clarity-Ferm. Based on my experiences with Omission I don't think an all-barley beer will be tolerable for me, but it might be worth my while to see if I can safely incorporate a little barley into an otherwise-gluten-free brew.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes, Harvester is the brewery. And I think you may be correct on the Redbridge, I do seem to recall that he had GF pizza that night too, which may have had cross contamination (which is unfortunately all too common in restaurants). I'm working on another GF beer, and IPA, that i'll be sending out as well, so we'll see if it was a fluke or if it really doesnt react with those friends. Shipping's expensive, so I dont think I can send enough for him to get plastered (unless he drinks both bombers by himself) and the other local friend doesnt drink a whole lot, so i'm not sure such an experiment can/will be done.

I think adding crystal/specialty malts will go a long way to give the beer a proper taste, and it's a good experiment if nothing else. I really hope the Clarity-Ferm with grains works out for you; I couldnt imagine not being able to have the brews I love.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #15
robodeath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am a celiac that uses clarity ferm. I've been through probably about 25 gallons of beer that I brewed treated with it and get no symptoms.

Quick Reply