Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > cherry flavoring or frozen tart cherries.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
pwellbball
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default cherry flavoring or frozen tart cherries.

I have a decision to make. I have a bottle of cherry flavoring and a pouund of frozen tart cherries. Which should I use to flavor my sorghum based beer? Its a simple recipe for a friend.

6.6 lbs srghum syrup
.5oz summit (60 min.)
.5 willemette (10 min.)

Safale 5

I have made a similar recipe before. I just wanted to add some cherry flavor. I was hoping for a cherry wheat type profile for the flavoring. Any suggestions would be appreiated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
No_Party
Recipes 

If you're looking for a wheat profile then you would want to use Safbrew WB-06 yeast. Not sure about the flavoring.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwellbball View Post
I have a decision to make. I have a bottle of cherry flavoring and a pouund of frozen tart cherries. Which should I use to flavor my sorghum based beer? Its a simple recipe for a friend.

6.6 lbs srghum syrup
.5oz summit (60 min.)
.5 willemette (10 min.)

Safale 5

I have made a similar recipe before. I just wanted to add some cherry flavor. I was hoping for a cherry wheat type profile for the flavoring. Any suggestions would be appreiated.
I think that if you want the cherry flavor to come through from the actual cherries that you are going to need more than a pound. You could try a mixture of both. Add the frozen cherries to the secondary for a week or so. When you bottle it give it a quick taste and maybe add the artificial flavoring to add a little depth to the actual cherries until you get a flavor that you like.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
gregger
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFortySX View Post
I think that if you want the cherry flavor to come through from the actual cherries that you are going to need more than a pound. You could try a mixture of both. Add the frozen cherries to the secondary for a week or so. When you bottle it give it a quick taste and maybe add the artificial flavoring to add a little depth to the actual cherries until you get a flavor that you like.
When people say "add the blah blah blah to the secondary whatever" are they just dropping them in directly or are they being steeped in nylon, mesh, or a grain bag of some kind?
Bottled: Oat Red Ale, Peach Wheat, Strawberry Dirty Blonde Ale, Brown Sugar IPA

In line: Cucumber Summer Blonde, Kona Pipeline Porter Clone, Bacon Porter

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregger View Post
When people say "add the blah blah blah to the secondary whatever" are they just dropping them in directly or are they being steeped in nylon, mesh, or a grain bag of some kind?
If I am using frozen fruit then I pretty much thaw it, mash it up real good and add them.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregger View Post
I just add them directly.

Also, realize that one of the options is going to increase your ABV fairly significantly. I would base your decision on that more than anything else.

Also, 1lb will be recognizeable, but faint. 2lbs is more standard and will be the bulk of the taste.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
I just add them directly.

Also, realize that one of the options is going to increase your ABV fairly significantly. I would base your decision on that more than anything else.

Also, 1lb will be recognizeable, but faint. 2lbs is more standard and will be the bulk of the taste.
I forgot to mention the added sugars that will increase the ABV and possibly dry out the finished product.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
pwellbball
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks folks. I think I will use a combination of the two. The pound of tart and some of the liquid flavoring. I will repost when I sample it.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwellbball View Post
Thanks folks. I think I will use a combination of the two. The pound of tart and some of the liquid flavoring. I will repost when I sample it.
Add the pound, and then taste it. If you think it needs more, add some flavor.

Cherry is one of the most contentious tastes in beer, people love and hate it. Find out which you are before you make it too cherry-esque.

Quick Reply