New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Cheap Sources for GF Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
aggieotis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Cheap Sources for GF Grains

I'm looking towards getting my first all-grain batch of GF beer, but running into a bit of a problem. How to cheaply get a hold of such a large quantity of grain.

I figure since we have to do all the malting and kilning of the grains ourselves, then we should just buy the raw grains and it should be pretty cheap.

Unfortunately though, most people selling these GF grains are doing so for a niche market that for some reason they think needs to buy things in 1/2 pound quantities with 4 different organic certifications and for a minimum of $3-8/lb. I know that some stores have some grains in bulk, but those stores still charge a premium (for example Whole Foods has bulk items, but even then they're not cheap).

That brings up the question of, "How to buy GF grains for less?"

I was thinking that since the process of malting will do a good job of washing the grains we could maybe even settle for 'feed grain'. If so then we could probably buy grain for pennies on the pound. In my area I can buy Millet for $8 per 50 lbs sack, and Red Sorghum (Milo) for about $5 per 50 lbs sack.

Anybody know if feed grain can work for human consumption if better washed? Additionally do any of you know of good resources to get large sacks of other grains such as White Sorghum, Amaranth, Teff, or White Quinoa?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
mbird
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've recently gone through the process of malting some feed grain here in Mexico. The details are here :

http://backyardbrewer.blogspot.com/2009/11/malting-barley-in-mexico.html

There are follow up reports at that site, just search 'malting barley'
Hope this helps.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com
www.thebackyardbrewer.com

Old 03-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sorghum on the cheap http://www.twinvalleymills.com/

Comes in 5 gallon bucket- they don't take credit card...heres the discussion- around post 48 http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sorghum-malt-supplier-135213/index3.html#post1585742

Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
tefflon

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
I'm looking towards getting my first all-grain batch of GF beer, but running into a bit of a problem. How to cheaply get a hold of such a large quantity of grain.

I figure since we have to do all the malting and kilning of the grains ourselves, then we should just buy the raw grains and it should be pretty cheap.

Unfortunately though, most people selling these GF grains are doing so for a niche market that for some reason they think needs to buy things in 1/2 pound quantities with 4 different organic certifications and for a minimum of $3-8/lb. I know that some stores have some grains in bulk, but those stores still charge a premium (for example Whole Foods has bulk items, but even then they're not cheap).

That brings up the question of, "How to buy GF grains for less?"

I was thinking that since the process of malting will do a good job of washing the grains we could maybe even settle for 'feed grain'. If so then we could probably buy grain for pennies on the pound. In my area I can buy Millet for $8 per 50 lbs sack, and Red Sorghum (Milo) for about $5 per 50 lbs sack.

Anybody know if feed grain can work for human consumption if better washed? Additionally do any of you know of good resources to get large sacks of other grains such as White Sorghum, Amaranth, Teff, or White Quinoa?
MALTED gluten free grains, as little as 5 pounds per order, can be ordered from
Colorado Malting Company: several millets, buckwheat, teff, quinoa, amaranth, sunflower, milo, etc.
I know some grains get sprayed when they enter the USA and therefore are rendered impotent from the chemicals and will not sprout! Malting then becomes impossible.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have been trying to gauge interest in GF grains. I malt my own millet and I would like to buy bulk to reduce costs. check out this thread

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/any-brewers-looking-malted-gf-grains-371555/#post4681294

Quick Reply