New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Carrots, quinoa and rice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
charliefoxtrot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Carrots, quinoa and rice?

I received the Brooklyn BrewShop's Beer Making Book for Christmas this year. It's definitely aimed at beginning brewers (all science is scrubbed from the process, but I have other books for that), and the recipes stretch creativity towards the gimmicky end, but there's a lot of interesting stuff, including a few gluten-free brews. All but one involve home-malted buckwheat, which seems like a popular technique, but one of them is weird:

Gluten Free Carrot-Pils:
1 pound carrots
0.5 pounds basmati rice
1 pound red quinoa
0.2 pounds rice hulls
ABV: 3.5%

Now, I've seen recipes using sweet potato as the source of diastatic enzymes. Is it possible that carrots do too? And possibly other, totally unrelated root vegetables? The book, as I said, is utterly unscientific, to the point of not even using the word "enzymes" (or "starch" for that matter--they merely refer to it as "sugars"), so there's no illumination to be had there. Neither the rice nor the quinoa is malted, so they can't be the source of enzymes. What's the deal? Will this recipe even work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've made this. Do not even attempt to do it: total failure. This is the only thing I ever made that I poured down the drain without even bottling.

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 12-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
igliashon
Gluten-Freek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

My guess is that they mean for you to malt the quinoa, they just forgot to say it or put it in a little foot-note somewhere. Carrots do not have enzymes, nor do any other root vegetables that I know of. Bananas are supposed to have enzymes, too, but my experiments with banana and sweet potato have shown them to be negligible in converting starch. Get yourself some diatase enzyme from EC Kraus, or see if you can track down the user beljica and bug him for his Promalt, if you want to try your hand at brewing all-grain without malt.

Quick Reply