Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Caramelized Honey for color

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
frogguruami
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Caramelized Honey for color

I brewed a GF stout this weekend and in an effort to darken the color I added a batch of Bochet that I had been sitting on for a few months to the boil water.

It was made by cooking 3 lbs of honey for 8 to 10 hours in the crock pot and mixing with 1 gallon of water then fermenting with montrechet yeast. I figure the fermentation has already removed the sugars and the boil would remove most of the alcohol so I didn't have to worry about adding too much to the OG. The Bochet has no discernible sweetness to it because the honey is VERY carmelized and has a bitterness to it that reminds me of the bitterness you get from heavily roasted grains. I thought that might work well in a stout. Here is a picture of the Bochet so you can get an idea of how dark it is.

The brew came out VERY dark and I was very please with the initial taste. Here is a picture of the brew. Unfortunately it isn't such a great picture. The steam kept fogging up my phone.

I will post pictures next week when I rack to to the secondary and update on the flavor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Can't wait to see how this turns out...might be the way I get my brews darker without the risk of adding burnt grains

Old 05-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about using some caramelized sugar to try darkening a beer, but of course that is going to contribute a ?? amount of fermentable sugar.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

What is the recipe? When did you add the honey?

Old 05-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
frogguruami
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
What is the recipe? When did you add the honey?
I added the prepared Bochet to the boil water at the very beginning of the boil.

Here is my blog post about the brew day.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
I added the prepared Bochet to the boil water at the very beginning of the boil.

Here is my blog post about the brew day.
I am wondering if you could NOT ferment the Bochet and use it in place of some of the brown rice syrup or other fermentables. Seems like it would bring down the cost significantly.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's what I was thinking, it seems like reinventing the wheel to ferment something, add it to wort, and ferment again. Of course, if you've already made the bochet, well...

I don't know anything about bochet, but I'm assuming that when you make it, you can take a gravity reading before you ferment to get an idea of how much sugar it has, thus have an idea of it's contribution to your wort...

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 05-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree. I may have cut out the rice syrup solids completely but I'm sure it will turn out fine. Mine took a while to carb at +8% and had an alcohol burn for a while. Your yeast cake will have a fine layer of the chocolate powder but don't worry, the flavor sticks around...

So...adding the bochet at the beginning of the boil basically boiled off the alcohol that it had previously converted leaving only nonfermentables and color, right?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
frogguruami
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I did it again I would not make the Bochet (I just happened to already have it since I experimented with it a few months ago), I would just add the caramelized honey. I would only replace half the rice syrup with the 3lbs of honey because a little more than 2/3 of the honey turns to non fermentable sugar after being caramelized for so long.

The Bochet had fermented completely so it added no fermentable sugar to the wort, just color and flavor.

I was going for a sweeter Imperial Stout as opposed to a drier Stout so I am prepared to wait it out! I am also going to put this on oak for a few weeks which should help smooth it out a little quicker.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
I would only replace half the rice syrup with the 3lbs of honey because a little more than 2/3 of the honey turns to non fermentable sugar after being caramelized for so long.
If this is really the case, we are probably going to have to find a way to dry this beer. 33% attenuation would be lower than any fermentable grain, and would cause very high FGs, even in relation to sweeter stouts. At the very least I would forego the lactose and maltodextrin.

Amylase might be in order to get some of those sugars back to fermentable.

Last edited by DKershner; 05-26-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply