Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Brown ale brewing tonight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Cainepolo12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default Brown ale brewing tonight

I am currently brewing a brown ale using homemade crystal oat malt, sorghum, BRS, sorghum molasses, flaked oats. Hops are Fuggles and EKG. Can't wait to see how the oats behave. Might get a bit slippery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
cstarner
Recipes 

How did you make the crystal oat malt? Is it actually malted or just toasted. I've been thinking of doing a mash with roasted oats and amylase enzyme at 145 F for 60-90 minutes and see if I get any conversion.

Primary: O'Shields Irish Stout
Secondary: None
On Tap: Sudoku Chocolate Porter

Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/0...technique.html

I followed this same process using certified GF oats I bought in bulk.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Golden naked oats are also crystal malt, nut I was unable to find if they were gluten free anywhere.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstarner View Post
How did you make the crystal oat malt? Is it actually malted or just toasted. I've been thinking of doing a mash with roasted oats and amylase enzyme at 145 F for 60-90 minutes and see if I get any conversion.
Do NOT under any circumstances attempt to mash oats with just amylase. You will waste your time and end up pouring the whole thing down the drain. Oats are extremely high in beta-glucans, and without beta-glucanase, they will turn your mash into a starchy milky soup that will not convert. If you want to mash something with amylase, rice or millet are your best bets. But I haven't found that approach to yield any better flavor than just using rice or sorghum extract. The best use of amylase that I have found is for after you steep your toasted grains in the wort, just to help clear up any starchy flavors from the steep.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
cstarner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon

Do NOT under any circumstances attempt to mash oats with just amylase. You will waste your time and end up pouring the whole thing down the drain. Oats are extremely high in beta-glucans, and without beta-glucanase, they will turn your mash into a starchy milky soup that will not convert. If you want to mash something with amylase, rice or millet are your best bets. But I haven't found that approach to yield any better flavor than just using rice or sorghum extract. The best use of amylase that I have found is for after you steep your toasted grains in the wort, just to help clear up any starchy flavors from the steep.
What about mashing millet and oats with the amylase? Do you think there will be enough beta -glucanase in the millet to convert the oats?

Old 02-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Is the millet malted? Because if it's not, there's no beta-glucanase present. If it is...well, it's worth an experiment!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
cstarner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon
Is the millet malted? Because if it's not, there's no beta-glucanase present. If it is...well, it's worth an experiment!
No it's not. It's been awhile since I've done GF brews but I had a batch that I gelatinized quinoa, brought temps down, added millet and amylase, mashed, and got a few OG points. I also did the same thing with black rice and it seemed to work well. Both methods seemed to add a little body that is missing in GF beer.

Quick Reply