Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Bring on the Spring!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Osedax
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts

Default Bring on the Spring!

It is finally warm enough where I live to brew. I want something kind of summery and very drinkable. This is the recipe I came up with. I will be brewing it this weekend.

Grain Bill:
7# Red Millet 2L
3# Buckwheat 3L
2# White Quinoa 2L
2# Flaked Corn .8L
1# Crystal Quinoa 20L (homemade)
1# Munich Amaranth 10L

Adjuncts:
1# Clover honey at flameout
.5# Maltodextrin
2oz Chamomile at flameout

Hops:
60- 1oz Target 10.7
15- 1oz Centennial 8.7
FO- 1oz Centennial 8.7
FO- 1oz Citra 13.9
Dry Hop (7 days)- Crystal 3.4

Yeast:
US-05 Ferment at 63F for 2 weeks

OG- 1.060 est
FG- 1.012 est
ABV- 6.5%
IBU- 60 est
Color- 9 SRM est

Any advice or critiques would be appreciated. I'm not sure how deep to toast the amaranth. I am thinking 10L but I might wet roast it a little longer. I am also torn on the hopping and chamomile. Hopefully someone can chime in.

I call it Sleepy-time IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
prandlesc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think you should re-think your grain choices, as I haven't heard of anyone brewing successfully with the mix of grains you've identified. I'm not sure how drinkable that recipe would turn out. If you're wanting to try out some alternate grains, you should use them in smaller quantities as a supplemental specialty grain, rather than as the primary grain. I'd suggest starting with 2 row pale and adding some of the other grains you've listed as character builders. Adding the sugars you've included will move the alcohol content to a level above "very drinkable". Also, ssing Citra at flameout seems to be an odd choice too, as it is more of a bittering hops than an aroma hops - even though it adds a great aroma.

So, if you're trying to achieve a wacky beer that will make great party conversation, your recipe may work well. If you're trying to make an drinkable IPA, you might want to start over.

Next Brews: Off White - TBD, but at least another try at the Heady Topper clone

Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dude, this is a gluten free section. The grains are perfectly normal for Coeliacs. I have heard of many people brewing with those grains, including myself. Barley can literally kill Coeliacs, so no, adding 2 row would not be a cracking idea.

The recipe looks good to me. Never used those hops though, dude. So can't comment. Let me know how it goes. How are you finding the crystal?

Old 04-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I agree with prandlesc for the most part.

6.5% ABV is not what I would call "very drinkable" or "summer brew".... You want something light and refreshing that doesn't get you drunk if you have 3-4 of them in short order on a hot day.

When I think of a Summer brew I think of something blonde, yellow, amber and 4-5.5% abv.

I have a 4.0% abv blonde that is perfect for a hot day and a 5.5% American Pale Ale that is so refreshing with Citra, Cascade and Centennial dry hop its's as refreshing as drinking a cold Lemonade.

I know little of gluten free brewing but 6.5% abv is not a drinkable summer brew, more of a sipper.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 04-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Osedax
Recipes 

Should have been more clear. I should have said a very drinkable gluten free ipa. Millet is a bit "strong". I believe I will need a higher abv and a bit more hop forward. I have to aim high incase of terrible conversion. It happens a lot with these grains.

There is no way citra is a bittering hop. I hear it tastes like cat pee when used for a bittering addition. I like target for bittering and I have it on hand.

Trust me. I am going to make session beers later. A cream ale is next on the list.

Keep the advice coming.

My House IPA

Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Osedax
Recipes 

Also, the crystal seems alright. Tastes like sweetened grapenuts. Not sure that its quite sweet enough. We will see.

My House IPA

Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I love it when non-GF brewers wander in here mistakenly, drop a bunch of really clueless advice, and then get red-faced when they realize their mistake.

Are these grains self-malted or from CMC? I've heard the DP on red millet is kinda weak.

Citra is most DEFINITELY NOT a bittering hop!! I don't know where that dude got THAT idea. I might actually bump up the hops, I've used a schedule like that for a 3-gallon batch a few times and thought it was just hoppy enough. You could double those FO additions, easily.

The chamomile will definitely come through, BTW, even if you add it at 60. Chamomile is delicious in a beer, but it's also quite distinct. It will merge nicely with those hops. 2 oz should be just enough for a 5-gallon, I use 1 oz in my 3-gallon batches.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Osedax
Recipes 

Was hoping you would chime in, igliashon. I got the idea from the ipa you made.

Haha! I don't blame some of these guys stumbling into the GF forum. They most likely just click on the most recent thread. Although the 7lbs of millet should've thrown a flag. Thought, I agree it is a bit strong for "very drinkable".

All the malt is CMC. The millet is weak diastically but, very "malty". I wanted quinoa but, the LHBS was out. I am going to get a 50lb sack soon.

I'm trying to use all my leftover hops. I agree that more aggresive hopping would be better. The only other hop I have is an oz of nelson sauvin. I'm contemplating throwing it in.

So the chamomile is good at FO? I was going to do it at 30 like your recipe but, I was told flameout by a trusted source. I don't normally spice/ herb my beers.

My House IPA

Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Someone in the GF community please educate me.
Which grains is the O.P.'s grain bill have the enzymes that allow starch conversion?

Thanks.

How hard can it be?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Osedax
Recipes 

I can. All of these grains (except the corn) have been professionally malted by colorado malting company. Similar to barley malt. Millet and quinoa have more than enough enzymes to self convert. Buckwheat doesn't seem to. Amaranth is too small to crush, so I can't comment on it.

I have read every article, lab report, and essay that I can get on the subject. I can go into more detail if you want but, I would need a new thread.

Hope that helps.

My House IPA

Quick Reply