Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Briess GF Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #31
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Finally tasted the briess lager. Was interesting, you can see all of my notes here: http://brew.dkershner.com/2010/no-pils-pils/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #32
anemic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

ohhh 'sweet'

I could get excited about that.
I've hit my busy season and I have THREE fermenters fulla beer, two lagers and a flowergarden. I gotta get busy doing homebrewer things.
Interesting that lager batch #1 I boiled the honey, and for batch #2 I added the honey later with the yeast. I'm sure there will be a difference. I'll report in with results.
Thanks

Old 05-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #33
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemic View Post
ohhh 'sweet'

I could get excited about that.
I've hit my busy season and I have THREE fermenters fulla beer, two lagers and a flowergarden. I gotta get busy doing homebrewer things.
Interesting that lager batch #1 I boiled the honey, and for batch #2 I added the honey later with the yeast. I'm sure there will be a difference. I'll report in with results.
Thanks
Should be much stronger in flavor. I added into the fermenter too.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #34
anemic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I had a most odd fermentation schedule with far too long in seconday & primary for that matter with both batches I ran. Lager2 skipped secondary entirely. Other huge differences were Lager2 received Irish Moss which wasnt mentioned in the recipe & I didnt think of it till later or maybe saw that kersh used it, and I also did not boil the honey for Lager2. Both were primed per instructions, and have only about as much carbonation as any standard lager. The honey flavor is absent.

Lager1 is not very good on it's own and is cloudy. It just tastes off, I can't come up the defects, probably just sour in that yucky sorghum way. In an attempt to salvage a drinkable product I tried limes in the beer glass. This did not help. I then tried it Shandy style with a short of some organic lemon concentrate. Boy does wake it up. I really love it. I don't even like Shandy.

Lager2 has a film of sour "infection" on the surface in each bottle. After researching it there is no concern. Its clear and lovely on it's own. I tried it with a lime and it's alright, better than Lager1 but not better than it is on it's own. I tried it as a Shandy and it's not very good for that style. I would enjoy doing more of these and I wouldnt mind being out of the Shandy business, so I'll see if am able to make a decent lager in the summer time in the basement ambient ferm room. Cheers

Quick Reply