Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Briess GF Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #21
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Recipe: http://brew.dkershner.com/2010/no-pils-pils/

3/6/10 as a tentative date...we'll see if I can get my closet to steadily hold 55F, then it will be sooner.

Last edited by DKershner; 02-15-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
aggieotis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Recipe: http://brew.dkershner.com/2010/02/03/no-pils-pils/

3/6/10 as a tentative date...we'll see if I can get my closet to steadily hold 55F, then it will be sooner.
What software do you use to make these reports? I really like the clean layout, and am in the market to buy a beer brewing software so I can better record my recipes and keep notes.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #23
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
What software do you use to make these reports? I really like the clean layout, and am in the market to buy a beer brewing software so I can better record my recipes and keep notes.
Beersmith.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #24
anemic
Recipes 

kersh your beersite is easy on the eyes. very nicely done.

thanks for the tips. I plan to combine your no - pils - pils with the briess gf lager recipe (due to whatever it is that I have on hand for my boil) and hit it as soon as I have the time for a boil, which will be soon!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #25
anemic
Recipes 

The Flowergarden GF IPA went 15 days in primary.
046 OG (seemed bizarrely low compared to target 055 I believe, but I was patient w/the gravimometer and thats the highest I could get it to read)
014 going into secondary
put 1 oz of Centennial hop pellets in the secondary and racked ontop

The scent of this brew so far gives me reason to be tremendously hopeful. With a target FG of 016 I am somewhat reluctant to let it go too long in secondary. I don't see any airlock activity, so that's good but I don't want it to become more dry (by way of excessively low FG) than it was intended to be.

Meanwhile I am experiencing a cruel gluten withdrawal. Got a severe cold, can't perform per my usual athletic self. This GF program (& the gluten cessation) may be reordering my entire physiology. I started out going GF in response to the rest of my family as we discovered that they were more clearly suffering from gluten intolerance. That move seemed to kick my own intolerance up several notches.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #26
averyrm
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I made the Hoppy to be Gluten Free right off the directions as my first brew. It turned out pretty well, not the greatest, but good for a first try. I had some problem while making it in that half the bottles ended up cloudy and good, and half ended up clear and very sweet. After a few months in the bottle, it definitely improved.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #27
anemic
Recipes 

I boiled the GF Lager recipe yesterday and I pitched some (very slightly glutenous) WLP 840 lager steam yeast I had banked. I can't see how that would represent too many glutens in the final product (from a starter wort of light dme ~1/2 cup). I used a sanitized turkey baster to grab heaps of yeast from the bottom of my mason jar. I warmed it, swirled it & added some honey prior to pitching. However, I plan to restart that WLP840 yeast for my bank using honey for a GF rating.

The other mod was using all the hops instead of leaving myself with leftovers, which I dislike:
1/2 oz Hallertau for 60 minutes, and also 1/2 oz @ 5 minutes
1 oz Cascade @ 10 mins instead of 3/4 oz
1 oz Saaz @ flameout instead of of 3/4 oz

I do full boils @ 6.5 gallons into the BK. This is batch #20 for me, and I have observed low OG readings for most of my brews. I only could get the OG up to 034 (target is 042). I relax.etc, but I have only hit the target a few times. The beer turns out fine, so it's not a huge concern, but technically I would like to hit my marks where possible.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #28
anemic
Recipes 

The GF IPA hit the bottle yesterday, @ 002 FG. 1.5 cups of honey as priming sugar. Color is that of melted butter. This was my first dry hop experience. I clogged my bottle filler. I only had about 30 bottles. I had too much beer still in the trub of the secondary, and I had a clogged bottling bucket with 1.5 gallons remaining (representing a huge loss). I surely oxidized the heck out of the remainder as follows:
*pour the bottling bucket contents into the secondary trub, now have about 2.5 gallons of trub, primed beer & trub beer all mixed together
*clear the bottling bucket of hop clogs and resanitize
*9yr old brewery intern holds the mesh colander over the bottling bucket as I pour the trub/beer thru it. It strains all the hop leaves! I add honey to the large stirring spoon (maybe a few TBS). It sticks to the spoon. I add hot water to the spoon a few times. I stir. Repeat. Some of thee honey actually gets into the bottling bucket beer. (note to self: adding the honey to hot water ahead of time worked really well for the earlier priming sugar step, do that every time!)
*final tally is about 55 bottles which makes me happy as I hate to go thru all the trouble for low yields. I gave the bottle caps a special code for the oxidized bunch, as they may not be good due to bottling day handling errors and the entire batch should not be judged based on their likely reduced potential.
*Dryhop lesson learned is to make a loose teabag of cheesecloth next time (I dryhop in bucket so as to not make a mess of glass carboy, which scares me more & more anyway)
*Then I racked the lager boil (see above) into secondary after bringing the yeast back to life w/honey.
*Enjoying sorghum brewing when I wash the fermenters they are much cleaner than the sticky old regular malts & yeasts I guess. Nice.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #29
anemic
Recipes 

GF IPA "Flowergarden" is very nice. If there is a funky sorghum background flavor it is difficult to pick it up. I find it's very refreshing, surprisingly light, and it's got all the herbal aromas and smells one would expect from the hop schedule. I'm really pleased with it. One test of a beer for me, is asking myself if I could drink this stuff for the rest of my life, and I totally could do that with this one, plus I have been led to expect that it shall continue to improve as it ages.

It's my 20th batch of hombrew, but my first gluten free brew, and it's more fun than the first one. Thanks for all the tips GF hombrewers. I'll follow it up right along with many more.

I have the GF lager close to 2 weeks in primary but it was slow to start for about half the first week, so I'll let her go thru to 2 weeks+ to slow down some, then go to a secondary, and put her either in my 54 degree room or my garage which should be in the 30's (ish - we have a warmup). Would be tempting to roll the yeast cake right into a second batch. Hm. I might do that.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:05 AM   #30
anemic
Recipes 

oh man, I had three more (my limit) Flowergardens tonight and they are beautiful. My best yet. I've made Patersbier, Guinness, Steam Beer, Paulaner Weissbier, American Wheat, and now this Flowergarden and it's distinctly my best. Patersbier was really good. I am hoping the GF Wit will bring me close to that.

Quick Reply