Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Briess GF Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #11
anemic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

thanks kersh. primary smells lovely. Since I've made plenty of mods to the original recipe, mine shall now be known as Flowergarden GFIPA and when I dial it in, prove it out, taste test it & can give it the ol' two thumbs up, I will post my own recipe. I am looking fwd to posting updates but I am afraid that we heading into the Easter season already and planning longer fermentation brews like that Briess GF Lager will be the order of the day.

To Better Brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemic View Post
Briess GF Lager
I am thinking lager too, but maybe not until summer. I only do about 4-5 GF beers a year though, so you should definitely try it and see.

I just don't see how that clean of a beer can hide the sorghumy taste...would be quite interesting.

EDIT: I would NOT use maltodextrin in a lager btw.

EDIT 2: The corn syrup can probably be replaced by brown rice extract.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
I am thinking lager too, but maybe not until summer. I only do about 4-5 GF beers a year though, so you should definitely try it and see.
What?! I brew a GF beer at least once a month, sometimes twice!! I need to get a lager setup though. Maybe once I move in the spring I'll take care of that.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
What?! I brew a GF beer at least once a month, sometimes twice!! I need to get a lager setup though. Maybe once I move in the spring I'll take care of that.
My monthly production is about:
20-30gal of barley or wheat based beer split between me and a buddy of mine.
5gal of GF beer for my GF and less for my Mom.
5gal of cider for people who don't like beer or if someone doesnt feel like beer or wine.
6gal of wine.

If I had celiac disease, it'd be another story. Or if you guys feel like buying me ingredients, I'll research a bunch more! EDIT: Or you can convince my GF to drink more, either way.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:18 AM   #15
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
My monthly production is about:
20-30gal of barley or wheat based beer split between me and a buddy of mine.
5gal of GF beer for my GF and less for my Mom.
5gal of cider for people who don't like beer or if someone doesnt feel like beer or wine.
6gal of wine.

If I had celiac disease, it'd be another story. Or if you guys feel like buying me ingredients, I'll research a bunch more! EDIT: Or you can convince my GF to drink more, either way.
Whew, do you have time for anything else!

And, uh, I'll research more if you guys buy me stuff too...

Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #16
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
Whew, do you have time for anything else!
Get your larger volume system and see if you ask me the same question! I could pretty easily do 2 or 3 10gal GF batches in a couple hours. Now, drinking that much would be another story.

I ran the lager idea by SWMBO and it was described as a cross between the tripel and the ESB but lighter. She seemed pretty into the idea. (You try describing beer types to a person who has had Budweiser, one Witbier, one Raspberry Hefeweizen, and 7 GF beers) In short, I may be brewing it sooner than I thought and aging the crap out of it.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #17
anemic
Recipes 

Quote:

I just don't see how that clean of a beer can hide the sorghumy taste...would be quite interesting.

EDIT: I would NOT use maltodextrin in a lager btw.

EDIT 2: The corn syrup can probably be replaced by brown rice extract.
Hm, I enjoy your feedback. The lager has not been boiled yet so I welcome feedback. What else might we do ? More hops (late, aroma & flavor)? I notice that there is only 3.75# of soghum LME so that is a hiding factor, plus lotsa honey, plus the karo (or rice extract). Interesting input skipping the maltodex for the lager. I may look up some additional lager tricks (over on the standard forums).

Old 02-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #18
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Hm, I enjoy your feedback. The lager has not been boiled yet so I welcome feedback. What else might we do ? More hops (late, aroma & flavor)? I notice that there is only 3.75# of soghum LME so that is a hiding factor, plus lotsa honey, plus the karo (or rice extract). Interesting input skipping the maltodex for the lager. I may look up some additional lager tricks (over on the standard forums).
I will expand a bit...

Lager basically means 'clean-tasting' and 'dry' (yeah, it means 'to store', but anyway...). Maltodextrin is the opposite of dry, it makes beers sweeter. Lagers are also usually lighter in ABV/body, hence the less sorghum.

I think the recipe as written sounds fairly good. There are no real tricks to a lager except for temperatures.

EDIT: I would shorten the ferment time to 2 weeks or so @ 55F, do a diatecyl rest, and then lager for at least 4 weeks.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #19
anemic
Recipes 

Please confirm: diacetyl rest? lower the temp prior to racking to secondary then lagering?

Thanks for educatin'! Good- I will roll it out as is written, while jacking up the hops a gentle touch to attempt to drown out sorghum off flavors.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #20
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Please confirm: diacetyl rest? lower the temp prior to racking to secondary then lagering?

Thanks for educatin'! Good- I will roll it out as is written, while jacking up the hops a gentle touch to attempt to drown out sorghum off flavors.
Don't go too bitter, and dont bother with hop flavor. Lagers are about aroma and clean taste.

Diacetyl rest is the opposite, raising the temp prior to racking. Usually around 60F is good, for 1-3days. You can also taste for it instead, but I do it just to be safe. If you want to taste, look for butter taste.

Quick Reply