Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Briess GF Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
anemic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Briess GF Recipes

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Ass...le_Aug2007.pdf

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs_Recipes/Briess_HoneyofaGlutenFreeLager_Aug2007.pdf

I hope those links work.

Those are two GF recipes from Briess the maltsters and frankly on paper they look like they have serious potential.

Has anyone tried either? Feedback?

I might try that pale ale straight away.

Do you suppose they actually intended us to ferment the lager 12.5 weeks in primary? Sounds like a secondary fermentation period.

Will report back results in this space in due time.

To gluten freedom! Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I do not like Cascades with sorghum. Sorghum already has enough citrus/grapefruit for me, thanks!
i'd look at using the softer english hops, but that is just me.

good luck!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
anemic
Recipes 

Since I have enough Cascades I wil bitter it with Cascades then go Centennial for flavoring. Thanks.

I bet nobody here noticed these recipes from Briess previously or we'd have had some feedback by now. Forging ahead nonetheless...

Old 01-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I posted the Pale Ale recipe a while back, let me see if I can find you the link for the feedback I got (I didn't brew it though).

Found it! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/glu...le-ale-132296/

Old 01-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
anemic
Recipes 

why thanks lcasanova!

I finally clicked on ODaniels GF ale from his pulldown, and that is interesting as well.

I think I will sub Centennial for Cascades in the briess ale recipe and give it a go. It seems to be in keeping with the conventional wisdom on GF brewing

The common threads seem to be:
*it is impossible to overhop a sorghum beer
*we should always use the maltodextrin
*follow the aussies who may have tips on adding soy protein to achieve a normal head.

Also, that thread got me over the aussie home brewers. Those aussies are amazing cutting edge hombrewers! Now I need to see what I can learn from them as well. (brew in a bag, cool in a cube, now this from down undah!)

cheers big beers,
anemic

Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've done cascades with a sorghum extract recipe as a flavor hops and it turned out really nicely.

In fact, it was the closest recipe I've yet made to tasting just like a regular non-GF beer. The strong citrus flavors of cascades overpowered the mild citrus flavors of the sorghum, meaning that nothing tasted funny.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
I've done cascades with a sorghum extract recipe as a flavor hops and it turned out really nicely.

In fact, it was the closest recipe I've yet made to tasting just like a regular non-GF beer. The strong citrus flavors of cascades overpowered the mild citrus flavors of the sorghum, meaning that nothing tasted funny.
cool. good to hear it worked for you. I did two 3-Gallon batches side by side. one English Pale Ale and one IPA. [hop schedules posted in the O'Daniel recipe http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/glut...um-ale-116999/]. I liked the English PA much better, as did the gluten-free person that I made it for. (looking back at it- i used Cent/, Chinook and Cascade, not just Cascade).

so that is the basis of my statement. but honestly, you don't really know until you try it... do both!

Last edited by midfielder5; 01-14-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
anemic
Recipes 

hey GF Brewers, would you please let me know your opinion of those Briess recipes I linked at the top - specifically:

So sorghum brews stay in the primary fermenter the entire time? Or do you rack per typical 10 to 14 days, into secondary?

The recipes call out 1.5 weeks fermentation for the ale, and 12.5 weeks for the lager. They don't specifiy primary/secondary.

What is typical with sorghum?
thanks

PS - if that ale only needs 1.5 weeks from boil to bottle then woohoo

Last edited by anemic; 01-28-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
anemic
Recipes 

Hoppy Ale is in the fermenter. I used some of the forum advice this time, some I banked for later use.

*Nottingham ale. Recipe called for two. I had one. I bought another.
*recipe didnt call for irish moss. I forgot to jot it down. I didnt add it.
*maltodextrin / rice extract fail. The maltodextrin I bought @ the LHBS was actually a DME - I was too hasty and didnt read it completely. dumdum. Then I failed to acquire rice extract - truly was not meant to be. No worries.
*the instructions are contradictory/incomplete visavis the hop schedule, so I assumed more hops by a bunch just for fun. Hop schedule is thus, 1 full oz of Centennial at:
60 mins
20 mins
5 mins
flameout
and will add 1 more oz @ end of secondary. I plan to go 2 weeks in primary 2 weeks in secondary. I think I read someplace that you want to dry hop for 2 days. I will look into that sometime in the next couple weeks to see what cognoscenti here have to say.

About the crazy heavy hops; I really enjoy the flowery, aromatic hop flavors of todays more evolved IPAs, not the bitter hops of early IPAs. If this is not a Pale Ale per se, that is quite alright with me. I want a lot of cool complex flavors, and I hope this acheives it, and also may compensate for the lost benefits of not having the rice extract & maltodextrin.

Last edited by anemic; 01-31-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typoze

Old 01-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemic View Post
Hoppy Ale is in the fermenter. I used some of the forum advice this time, some I banked for later use.

*Nottingham ale. Recipe called for two. I had one. I bought another.
*recipe didnt call for irish moss. I forgot to jot it down. I didnt add it.
*maltodextrin / rice extract fail. The maltodextrin I bought @ the LHBS was actually a DME - I was too hasty and didnt read it completely. dumdum. Then I failed to acquire rice extract - truly was not meant to be. No worries.
*the instructions are contradictory/incomplete visavis the hop schedule, so I assumed more hops by a bunch just for fun. Hop schedule is thus, 1 full oz of Centennial at:
60 mins
20 mins
5 mins
flameout
and will add 1 more oz @ end of secondary. I plan to go 2 weeks in primary 2 weeks in secondary. I think I read someplace that you want to dry hop for 2 days. I will look into that sometime in the next couple weeks to see what cognoscenti here have to say.

About the crazy heavy hops; I really enjoy the flowery, aromatic hop flavors of todays more evolved IPAs, not the bitter hops of early IPAs. If this is not a Pale Ale per se, that is quite alright with me. I want a lot of cool complex flavors, and I hope this acheives it, and also may compensate for the lost benefits of not having the rice extract & maltodextrin.
Sorry I didn't see this before you brewed...a few thoughts:
  • The recipes on Briess are about 1/4 of the basis for my GF haus ale recipe here and here
  • I dont think your hop schedule is 'crazy heavy' and I would probably add more if I were making a GF IPA
  • You probably got dextrin or carapils DME, just send it along to an extract brewer on the forum!
  • Brown rice extract could be added later on, just boil in water and add to fermenter slowly. Maltodextrin can be too.
  • You would probably have been fine with one notty.

Quick Reply