*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Brewing Up a Science Experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
KevinM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If we take the low end of 100DP, then a theroretical minimum of 35DP average gives you needing 3 pounds of sweet potato per 5 pounds of 0dp grain. (300/8=37.5 DP average).

Though I've seen recommendations not to go below 65 DP, which would mean 10 pounds sweet potato. (1000/15=66.6 DP average)

Personally, I'd do what you mentioned, maybe a step further using malted grains. my earlier plan with my malted sorghum was supposed to be
crush grain, puree sweet potato
steep/rehydrate to extract as much enzyme as possible @ 2qt/pound, then I questioned about doing the protein rest before or after gelatinizing.
gelatinize
my first test was going to be only gelatinizing the sorghum. The second test would gelatinize both.
I had some processes that I wrote down and wasn't going to talk about until I tested them, but I developed a problem with my germinator and have been waiting until I had enough money to replace the humidifier portion.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #12
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Dang, I don't think I can do 15 lbs of grain in my BIAB system. Maybe if I cut it down to a 1-gallon batch, with ~1.67 lbs of buckwheat plus ~3.3 lbs of sweet potato? I guess for an experiment like this, that's more sensible anyway. No sense wasting all that buckwheat if this doesn't go according to plan. One worry, though, is that the flavor from the sweet potato might overwhelm the grains. I guess it's still worth a shot, though...if it works, *then* I'll worry about scaling up.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It is a lot of sweet potato. One thing as well is that there may be a loss of enzymes when taking the grain/sweet potato out of the initial strike water. Even if we assume a complete eqlibrium of enzymes, we're removing about half the enzyme and denaturing it during the gelatinization process.
Even if we ground both grain and sweet potato to the finiest texture possible, I think that some of it will still be locked up within cell walls, so I'm expecting some sort of loss in this process. This is why I'm not sure about using the current numerical minimum.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Hmm. Maybe I should wait to try this until I've got some malted buckwheat to play with.

Quick Reply