Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Brewing up a Gluten Free Beer this weekend- anyone else?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #121
ChasidicCalvinist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

There is a cider dry-hopped with cascade that looks awesome on the cider forum. I'm planning on making that when the deep winter sets in.

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #122
thanantos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasidicCalvinist View Post
There is a cider dry-hopped with cascade that looks awesome on the cider forum. I'm planning on making that when the deep winter sets in.
I'll look for that recipe, but here's mine:

5 gallons of cheap apple juice from Aldi
3 lbs of raw cane sugar
S-05 yeast

Secondary with 1 oz of Cascade for 7 days

Cold crash, backsweeten with 2 cans of apple juice concentrate and force carb (I love my keg setup!)

Old 11-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #123
philbert
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbert View Post
I finally got around to brewing another batch last night. I didn't have time to do everything I wanted to do but I still should end up with something that is quite good regardless. As I had said previously, the batch I made a few months ago was drinkable but a bit on the sweet side. After looking over my ingredients and the recipes of those before me, I realized I had used way too many fermentables.....the yeast could only go so far. A recurring theme in the other recipes were approximately five pounds of fermentables per five gallons of brew. Mine ended up being closer to eight pounds of fermentables so no wonder it was sweet!

The other trick I've learned - based on other's comments - is to use about half of the fermentables in the boil and the remainder at flame out. I think this really helps with the weird after taste that many have described.

5 Gallon batch
Boil Time 60 minutes

2 gallons of water
2 pounds of sorghum syrup
.5 pound of rice solids
.5 oz cascade hops 60 minutes
.5 oz cascade hops 15 minutes
1 Whirfloc tablet 15 minutes
1 pound sorghum at flameout
.5 pounds rice solids at flameout
.5 pounds Belgian Syrup at flameout
.5 pounds honey at flameout
4 oz Maltodextrin at flameout
Safelager 34-70 yeast
dry hop .5 oz cascade hops

Next time I will toast some quinoa and steep. Brewing GF, just as baking GF food, is trial and error in many ways.

Fairly simple recipe.
Cracked open a few from this batch this week. I realized too late into the process that I used the wrong yeast and I never got around to dry hopping, but it made no difference. This batch was darn tasty. It looks like beer, it tastes like beer and by golly, it is beer. In fact, I would dare anyone to tell the difference between it and a "normal" barley based beer.

Quick Reply