LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
chilort
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
I would recommend going more in the 4-5% ABV range unless you really want to pound the beer with raspberries. I would go for about 40-50% brown rice syrup to lighten the flavor too and dry it out a bit. Then I would drop 4lbs of Raspberries on it for a week or two. Lightly hop, in the range of 10-20IBU. I don't think coriander + raspberries sounds very good, but I am always willing to encourage new things!

Good luck!
I think I'll leave out the coriander and slam it with raspberries. Right now I can get get a lot of them for a good price. I also got some orange blossom honey and I might double up on the honey (1lb orange blossom and 1lb wild flower) compared to what I normally do to keep the sorghum syrup content down and use both containers of the rice syrup. That should get me where I'd like to be with alcohol content and hopefully flavor too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilort View Post
I had been able to get 3lb bags of dry rice malt from my home brew store but they say it is hard to get. Really? I might have to start ordering online unless it really is hard to get. I can't say that I've tried yet (I'm often kind of a lazy beer making/drinking bum).
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10362

They are expensive.

Re-checked at Brewbrothers, it's not Briess, it is a local organic honey supplier with brown rice syrup. $3/lb.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
I think I'll leave out the coriander and slam it with raspberries. Right now I can get get a lot of them for a good price. I also got some orange blossom honey and I might double up on the honey (1lb orange blossom and 1lb wild flower) compared to what I normally do to keep the sorghum syrup content down and use both containers of the rice syrup. That should get me where I'd like to be with alcohol content and hopefully flavor too.
I am about to try a beer with only extracts and only 10-15% sorghum and see what happens. Keep us updated if you do something similar.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #14
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I am about to try a beer with only extracts and only 10-15% sorghum and see what happens. Keep us updated if you do something similar.
One of the true joys of home brewing .... very slow feedback from your efforts. I'll let you know in a couple of months how it turns out.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
One of the true joys of home brewing .... very slow feedback from your efforts. I'll let you know in a couple of months how it turns out.
I am going extract to glass in about 2 weeks, I am just waiting for the ingredients to get here. In which case, I guess I will let you know.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #16
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I am going extract to glass in about 2 weeks, I am just waiting for the ingredients to get here. In which case, I guess I will let you know.
Yeah... so you just went past my knowledge level there.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #17
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah... so you just went past my knowledge level there.
Well, I dont want to hijack your thread, I made a new one: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/16-...n-rice-187085/

Feel free to ask me any questions there, not sure what part you are stuck on.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Well, I dont want to hijack your thread, I made a new one: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/16-...n-rice-187085/

Feel free to ask me any questions there, not sure what part you are stuck on.

I see now, you have some capabilities I don't (forced carbonation). We just tried the first sorghum beer I tasted and I hate it.

It was supposed to be an IPA but tastes nothing like an IPA. I hoped the shizzle (I live in Atlanta, I can use "shizzle") out of it. I used more hops in that beer to try to cover up the sorghum than I've used in anything except for a Barley Wine I made for myself in December. I can't even yet describe it. The reviews from my wife (who has celiac) and her sister (who pretends like it) both thought it was okay (I think they're wrong). My wife likes it better than New Grist, Greens, and Red Bridge but says it isn't as good as Bards. I like the praise but that sorghum flavor is terrible. What the flock am I going to do with a 5gal bucket of the stuff?.......

Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #19
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I see now, you have some capabilities I don't (forced carbonation). We just tried the first sorghum beer I tasted and I hate it.

It was supposed to be an IPA but tastes nothing like an IPA. I hoped the shizzle (I live in Atlanta, I can use "shizzle") out of it. I used more hops in that beer to try to cover up the sorghum than I've used in anything except for a Barley Wine I made for myself in December. I can't even yet describe it. The reviews from my wife (who has celiac) and her sister (who pretends like it) both thought it was okay (I think they're wrong). My wife likes it better than New Grist, Greens, and Red Bridge but says it isn't as good as Bards. I like the praise but that sorghum flavor is terrible. What the flock am I going to do with a 5gal bucket of the stuff?.......
Keep at it. I've found with time the sorghum flavor goes away and I've used it as the base in ALL of my beers. I haven't tried an all rice beer yet and I don't know if I will but I will try some ratio like the others are doing.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #20
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
What the flock am I going to do with a 5gal bucket of the stuff?.......
Age or cover it, I have done both with great success.

If you need help coming up with spices, fruit, or other crap to go in an IPA to hide something, just let us know some specifics and I sure you will get at least 6 opinions from just Casanova and I.

Quick Reply