Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Brewing a Raz-Wit

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
chilort
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 119
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brewing a Raz-Wit

My wife is gluten intolerant so I'm getting more and more into gluten free brewing. I've got a 5gal (about 60lb) bucket of Breiss sorghum extract syrup that I've brewed a couple of beers from already (still about a week away from trying the first of them). I frequently brew a raspberry and blackberry beer but with raspberry season I can easily find cheap raspberries and my freezer is overfull.

I'm looking for help putting a raz-wit recipe together. I've already got the raspberries and the sorghum. I often use at least 1lb of honey in any beer I make no matter if it's called for or not (and would be happy to use more). I also have a nice source for dark rice syrup. I'm thinking something between 5 and 7% ABV so I'm open.

I'm really really really new to making recipes so any and all help would be very appreciated. I'm thinking about basically modifying lcasanova's wit recipe by taking out the orange peel and substituting a few pounds of raspberries and replacing some of the sorghum with rice syrup (a pound or two).

__________________

Last edited by chilort; 07-15-2010 at 06:01 PM.
chilort is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
aggieotis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 168
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

What's your source for brown rice syrup?

I would love to have a better source. Would you mind sharing where you get yours?

__________________
aggieotis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
aggieotis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 168
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

btw, I think your idea of modifying lcasanova's recipe sounds exactly like what I would recommend.

1:1 Sorghum:Rice extract ratio seems to work really well for me.

__________________
aggieotis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 1,043
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
What's your source for brown rice syrup?

I would love to have a better source. Would you mind sharing where you get yours?
I usually go to a health food store- though it can be expensive OR I use rice syrup solids, and that can get expensive too. So, if ANYONE has a good reasonably priced source, please share.
__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009
Lcasanova is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
chilort
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 119
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

My source isn't going to be helpful to anyone outside of Atlanta:
http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/

I don't remember the price. I was so excited to see it I don't think I even checked. I will when I go back next time.

How much fruit should be in one of these? I'm thinking at least 2lbs.

__________________
chilort is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
I usually go to a health food store- though it can be expensive OR I use rice syrup solids, and that can get expensive too. So, if ANYONE has a good reasonably priced source, please share.
Brewbrothers.biz has the briess stuff. It's about the same price as sorghum.
DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilort View Post
My wife is gluten intolerant so I'm getting more and more into gluten free brewing. I've got a 5gal (about 60lb) bucket of Breiss sorghum extract syrup that I've brewed a couple of beers from already (still about a week away from trying the first of them). I frequently brew a raspberry and blackberry beer but with raspberry season I can easily find cheap raspberries and my freezer is overfull.

I'm looking for help putting a raz-wit recipe together. I've already got the raspberries and the sorghum. I often use at least 1lb of honey in any beer I make no matter if it's called for or not (and would be happy to use more). I also have a nice source for dark rice syrup. I'm thinking something between 5 and 7% ABV so I'm open.

I'm really really really new to making recipes so any and all help would be very appreciated. I'm thinking about basically modifying lcasanova's wit recipe by taking out the orange peel and substituting a few pounds of raspberries and replacing some of the sorghum with rice syrup (a pound or two).
I would recommend going more in the 4-5% ABV range unless you really want to pound the beer with raspberries. I would go for about 40-50% brown rice syrup to lighten the flavor too and dry it out a bit. Then I would drop 4lbs of Raspberries on it for a week or two. Lightly hop, in the range of 10-20IBU. I don't think coriander + raspberries sounds very good, but I am always willing to encourage new things!

Good luck!
__________________
DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
chilort
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 119
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Okay, picked up a few more jars of rice syrup. It is $5.00 for a 1lb 5oz container.

__________________
chilort is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
aggieotis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 168
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Okay, that's the same stuff and same price as I get.

@dkershner, I think I will have to check those guys out for Rice LME, or start playing with flaked rice in the mash.

__________________
aggieotis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
chilort
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 119
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I had been able to get 3lb bags of dry rice malt from my home brew store but they say it is hard to get. Really? I might have to start ordering online unless it really is hard to get. I can't say that I've tried yet (I'm often kind of a lazy beer making/drinking bum).

__________________
chilort is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools