Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Brewing for the 2013 AHA Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Okay, after thinking long and hard about this, and reading through the style guidelines and previous-year winners, I'm going to submit 5 beers to Category 23 ("Specialty"). My recently-bottled wit, my two most recent IPAs--Oat-Pecan (hopped with Columbus, Horizon, Topaz, Centennial, and Ahtanum) and Quinoa Red (hopped with Columbus, Cascade, Palisades, and Centennial)--and two session beers, a banana-millet blonde with Sorachi Ace hops and chamomile, and a black rice hefeweizen-style beer with blackberry honey.

The black IPA recipe is just too experimental, and even if brewed next week, it may not be fully mature in time for the competition; I'm aiming for lighter beers because they shouldn't take too long to mature, and both are close to recipes I've brewed in the past that turned out awesome. I hope at least one of them ranks highly, because I'm going to be looking for work in some brewery or another later this year, and some professional validation of my skills as a homebrewer would definitely be of benefit.

Anybody else thinking of entering?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
thanantos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good luck igliashon!

I won't enter this year, but I will be working this year to refine some recipes and enter next year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
tflew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I had an IPA last week that was brewed with juniper berries and spruce tips that was really good. And if you need help determining if your black IPA is to style feel free to send a bottle my way and i can let you know

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply