Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Brewing for the 2013 AHA Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Brewing for the 2013 AHA Competition

So, I realized that if I want to get a finished and properly-aged beer into the 2013 AHA competition, I'll have to brew it up within the next two to three weeks. Have any of you entered a gluten-free beer in the AHA competition? Do they have a separate gluten-free category, or does it fall under "specialty"? Should I consider entering a normal category and see if my beers can compete with a "real" beer? The wit I just bottled is really stellar and could possibly compete with regular wit beers (if not win).

I'm also wondering which of the recipes in my queue I should brew. I'm doing a quinoa Red IPA next week for sure, but what else? I've got recipes worked out for another red rice hefe-rizen, a black IPA, a GF clone of Deschutes' Chainbreaker white IPA, a pale ale with douglas fir tips and juniper (a re-working of a previously failed recipe), a banana/millet blonde ale with Sorachi Ace hops, and an extract-based dark beer (maybe porterish) with lapsang souchong (another re-working of a previously failed recipe). I'm also thinking about doing another flower beer (some combo of chamomile, rose, lavender, and/or calendula; I'm going to try some tea blends first), but I don't know if that'll work out in time. Some of these would go in the "specialty" category anyway....

I gratefully welcome any thoughts, advice, and experiences. I also encourage all of you in the 'States to enter as well, it'd be great if we could provide a huge gluten-free presence this year....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
mtbskier
Recipes 

Based on all the positive feedback the dual spires black lodge or a black ipa version might be a solo option. I have a version of it 3 weeks in the bottle but have not tried I yet

Tell us more about the wit recipe

Old 01-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Hmm...I've never entered it or thought of it until now...

As for you I'd recommend the Grapefruit IPA. I saw my brother-in-law the other day and he brought it up and wondered if I had any left. It was wildly popular.

BTW--your Black IPA recipe looks awesome!

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #4
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Only problem with me coming up with a black IPA recipe is I've never had a black IPA--the style did not exist six years ago, when I first went gluten-free! So I have no idea what they taste like, or what a good example of the style is. But then, I can virtually guarantee that I'll be the only gluten-free black IPA in the running...the sheer audacity might count for something.

Well, after this weekend I'll have three fermenters open. The quinoa red IPA will go in one, which will leave me two more...if I manage to squeeze the time in, I could brew enough to fill them. Maybe the black IPA and the sorachi blonde or red rice hefe...the grapefruit IPA did get good reviews amongst my friends, but I was never satisfied with the malt base. I also have the oatmeal-pecan IPA that is ready for dry-hopping and will be bottled in time, and that one may turn out awesome.

As for the wit...I'll be doing a blog post about it once it's carbed, but suffice to say it tasted so good at bottling that my girlfriend drank a glass of it warm and flat...she NEVER does that! It was spot-on for a Hoegaarden clone--I can't recommend WB-06 enough as a dry wit yeast; I fermented at a pretty low temperature since we were facing a major cold-snap at the time and my apartment is barely insulated, and the banana/clove/bubblegum notes were perfect. There was a nice sour tang from citrus addition (kumquat, oro blanco grapefruit, and satsuma zest), and if it carbs properly it's gonna be AMAZING. It was an all-grain + honey recipe.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
max42
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In case you have been to the site for the rules, etc here is the link:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/competitions/national-homebrew-competition

I think you will need to fit your entry into one of the BJCP categories and that is how it is judged. If it can't fit a traditional category then it should be entered into the speacialty category.

I missed the registration last year by one week and all the entry slots were filled, they go very fast, usually days. So if you plan to enter do it on time and as early as possible. BTW they have made a few rules changes this year so check into that as well.

Good Luck!

Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
QuercusMax
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Wow, that wit sounds amazing! This weekend I'm planning on doing a sorghum extract + roasted oats brew with orange zest + meat using WB-06. I brew for my wife who can't do gluten, and she has recently discovered she enjoys beers, but really doesn't like anything bitter. I'd love to see your recipe once you're ready to share.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Igliashon, could me among those interested in the wit recipe. What is your log URL?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

See my signature for the blog, Cainepolo.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Ok. I don't think it shows up on the iPad app, so ill look when I'm home.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
max42
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is the blog: Check out my gluten-free brewing blog, beyondbarley.blogspot.com

Quick Reply