Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Black Hops GF American IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Black Hops GF American IPA

I wanted a hoppier, higher gravity version of the Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, so here's what I came up with. It's currently in the secondary, plan to bottle this weekend. 5 gallon batch:

60 - 3lbs rice syrup, 3lbs sorghum syrup, 1lb D-180 candi syrup, 8oz blackstrap molasses, 8oz maltodextrin, 1tsp gypsum, .5oz Magnum
25 - 1oz Simcoe
15 - 1tsp irish moss, .5tsp yeast nutrient
5 - 1oz Cascade
0 - 3lbs sorghum syrup, 2oz Cascade

OG - 1.072
FG - 1.013
ABV - 7.7%
IBU - ~60

Initially I had planned to go straight from the primary to bottling, so this batch spent 3 weeks in the primary. However, I was too lazy to bottle 2 batches of beer last weekend, so I racked this batch to the secondary on top of the remnants of an oak (and Jack Daniels) aged non-GF 90 min IPA I had just bottled.

Not sure how this time in the secondary will affect this batch; probably not much with it being on the oak cubes only 1 week (the 90 min IPA was in the secondary on those oak cubes for a month, yum...)

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: Empty
In Planning: *Blackberry Ale

All (mostly) *Gluten Free; All (most of) the time...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
mtbskier
Recipes 

This looks great....please post pictures an let us know how it turns out....been thinking of doing something like this for a while now

Old 11-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Finally bottled this batch today; looks like it'll be ready just in time for Christmas. I also finally got around to a final gravity reading. It fermented out to 1.013 which puts the ABV at 7.7% (I edited my original post to reflect) which is a little higher than anticipated; this could be a keeper...

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)

Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
tawsme
Recipes 

Did I miss the suggested yeast?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawsme View Post
Did I miss the suggested yeast?
Oops, sorry about that. I used Fermentis SafAle S-04 (in the blue package).

Old 12-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
spaced
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Awesome, can't wait till it's finished. Will be interested in your tasting notes.

My gluten free home brewing blog.
http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/

Drinking: Hopped Honey IPA
Fermenting: 2 Ciders with S-33 Yeast, Summer Pale Ale and a West Coast IPA
Planning: Belgian Triple, Blood Orange Wit and American IPA

All gluten free.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
Beardo21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My fiance recently discovered that she and gluten don't get along and I'm looking for a recipe to try out. I have never brewed a GF beer before. How much water did you start off with in your boil?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo21 View Post
My fiance recently discovered that she and gluten don't get along and I'm looking for a recipe to try out. I have never brewed a GF beer before. How much water did you start off with in your boil?
Believe I did a 4 gallon boil and then topped it up to 5 in the primary. Then again, it could have been a full 5 gallon boil... guess I need to improve my brew day note taking.

What kind of beer does your fiance like? May want to start with something a little more mellow? Then again, if she likes super hoppy high gravity brown ales, get brewing (and definitely MARRY HER!!)

Also, this is the first time this recipe has been brewed so it could suck... I doubt that but I won't know until 15-16 Dec (at the earliest). At that point it will have been in the bottle for 3 weeks. Christmas week would probably be better, but I'm not sure I can wait that long.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Beardo21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbois1 View Post
Believe I did a 4 gallon boil and then topped it up to 5 in the primary. Then again, it could have been a full 5 gallon boil... guess I need to improve my brew day note taking.

What kind of beer does your fiance like? May want to start with something a little more mellow? Then again, if she likes super hoppy high gravity brown ales, get brewing (and definitely MARRY HER!!)

Also, this is the first time this recipe has been brewed so it could suck... I doubt that but I won't know until 15-16 Dec (at the earliest). At that point it will have been in the bottle for 3 weeks. Christmas week would probably be better, but I'm not sure I can wait that long.
Good to know. She enjoys very hoppy stuff and that's one of many reasons why I'm marrying her . I might still try this one out. But let us know how it turns out for you or if you have any suggestions once its ready. :Cheers:

Old 12-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
muench1
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So... not that it really matters, but why did you bother to make a GF beer just to rack it over non-GF lees?

Coming soon:, Blackberry Wine, GF Pale, GF Braggot

Quick Reply