Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Bard's Carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
brieuxster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Bard's Carbonation

I am perplexed by pouring a Bard's into a glass. This beer seems to have little ability to retain the CO 2 . Is this a problem with Bard's or sorghum malt beers.
While I am looking for a dark Gf beer similar to a stout, is Bard's behavior "typical "?

Dan Hunt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brieuxster View Post
I am perplexed by pouring a Bard's into a glass. This beer seems to have little ability to retain the CO 2 . Is this a problem with Bard's or sorghum malt beers.
While I am looking for a dark Gf beer similar to a stout, is Bard's behavior "typical "?
There's so many variables involved, but I've found that using maltodextrin in my brews ensures decent head retention. GF Oats help as well.

Part of the reason that most of the commercial GF beers don't have good head retention is that they are fairly thin, light beers. The heavier beers I've tried (Greens Amber and Dubbel) had significantly better head retention.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 05-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
brieuxster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Well no yellow fizzy GF beers are planned. Thanks for the reassurance.

Dan Hunt

Old 05-26-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
thanantos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord

There's so many variables involved, but I've found that using maltodextrin in my brews ensures decent head retention. GF Oats help as well.

Part of the reason that most of the commercial GF beers don't have good head retention is that they are fairly thin, light beers. The heavier beers I've tried (Greens Amber and Dubbel) had significantly better head retention.
What amount of maltodextrin seems to hit the mark for most beers/brewers? I've added 4 oz each to the two batches I have fermenting right now, but I haven't used it before.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanantos View Post
What amount of maltodextrin seems to hit the mark for most beers/brewers? I've added 4 oz each to the two batches I have fermenting right now, but I haven't used it before.
I usually use 4 oz, but if I were trying to make a really heavy beer, I'd not hesitate to double that.

It depends on what else you are using in the recipe, of course, for example, in the stout I made, I used some GF oats, which seems to contribute a bit to that heavy mouthfeel, so 4 oz was enough, but in the dubbel I made (with sorghum and cooked candi sugar) I think 8 oz would have been an improvement.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 05-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I have to echo the maltodextrin. My first three beers didn't use it, and while the very first one (which used a combo of roasted quinoa and oats) had great head retention, the others did not. But everything I've brewed since has had appropriate head for style. I use 2 to 4 oz in a 3 gallon batch. Beats the pants off anything off the shelf except for maybe Green's.

Quick Reply