Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Any Great Gluten Free Stout or Porter Recipes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Ash_Mathew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ahh, my apologies.

I usually throw my buckwheat in whilst cold and heat up the water. I have found this gets rid of the strange nuttiness and gives more caramel and chocolaty flavours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #12
Tex60
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

One of the local guys suggested the exceptionally long steep/soak time of 4hrs to get max flavor and body from the grains because you get no conversion from trying to do a mash from any of the gluten free grains because of the lack of enzymes. I'm just trying to get the body to a level that it has the mouth feel of a good beer instead of water. Also the oats and buckwheat add some flavor characteristics of grains to the beer as close as possible to grain flavors from a mash. The candy syrup adds the color and some fermentables along with the others. To lessen the often noticeable metallic flavor from sorghum syrup I found through much reading that if it is a lesser percentage of the fermentables and it is boiled as little as possible it will help with that off flavor. My daughter likes bitter beers so I get to be heavy handed with the hops that's why I'm looking at more for the next batch, but from her description I determined that something more on the aroma end, late addition is probably going to be best.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I would suggest a steep of around an hour, at about 154 degrees, in a cooler , preferably using malted grains.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
BPal75
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Anyone try the white labs gluten ninja? Supposedly allows you to brew any barley beer recipe and with the ninja addition it will bring gluten levels down to under 10 ppm. I have a friend that is gluten intolerant that though he could drink 1 or 2 of these low gluten beers without any trouble so I might make him a batch if "real" beer.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

This is clarity ferm again. Check out the sticky at the gf brewing homepage.

Quick Reply