Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Amylase Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
tigerface
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Amylase Question

Hey all. I am venturing in the grain/extract brew territory. I have a question about amylase. Question is how and when to use it. Also any tips of doing a combo grain/extract batch. I was thinking of doing a small batch of both then
combine both in my carboy. Or is that doing double the work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

That's doing double the work. Read this: http://beyondbarley.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-mashing-and-brewing-with.html , that should just about cover it. Let me know if you have questions on it.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
tigerface
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually I do have a question. I noticed that as far as the syrups go you only have 8 oz rice syrup and 8 oz candi syrup. If I were to use
2 lbs malted buckwheat 2 lbs malted millet 3 lbs sorghum syrup and 2 lbs brown rice. Would that be way too much in my grist as far as alcohol content goes? I am looking for maybe 5%. I cant find an efficiency calculator for gluten free grains

Old 05-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Hopville. They are merging with brew toad. Not sure how that is going to change the site. Should still work fine. The ppg for malted grain is the tricky part. The only sure way is to do a few test batches with a known efficiency for your system. Don't expect it to be high.

My House IPA

Old 05-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

My suggestion is not to worry about the exact PPG. Just use 32 ppg as a ballpark, figure something like 70% efficiency, and formulate the recipe around that. Then take a gravity reading after you do the mash (make sure to cool the sample to whatever temp your hydrometer is calibrated for!) to see how much to adjust your extract amounts. If you're aiming for about 5%, you want an OG around 1.053 or so (which includes the contributions from whatever extract you plan to add). So depending on how efficient your mash turns out to actually be, you may have to add more extract or less to hit that mark. That's how I do it, anyway, and it's been working out juuuust fine!

Quick Reply