The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Amylase enzyme and unmalted buckwheat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #11
GrizlyGarou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eastern MA
Posts: 286
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogfree View Post
I'm looking into gluten free ingredients and got this crazy idea to skip the buckwheat malting process and instead use amylase enzyme to convert the starch. Does anyone know if the amylase enzyme sold in HB stores are gluten-free?

Thanks
FF
Have you found any info on how much of the enzyme to use? I've been looking and had no luck.

I did, however, learn that bananas and mangos both have the enzyme in them though. Might make for an interesting brew if you can get enough enzyme out of them in a mash or something. There were some people talking about it over on aussiehomebrew in some 'grocery store challenge' or something like that. There's a lot of people on there that brew gluten-free, too. Tons of info sitting there waiting to be learned...
__________________
GrizlyGarou is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
PSmurf78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: City, WA
Posts: 129
Default

So now you've got me curious about this too. I've seen this enzyme available at the brew shops, and now I'm thinking of picking up some for a batch I want to do in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking that the grains I was initially going to steep may benefit from adding amlase in.

Since the enzyme will be broken down by the boil, after which point I will add the sorghum extract, I'm not too worried about it going too dry. I'm hoping that I'll just be able to get more out of the millet, amaranth, and quinoa that I was going to use.

__________________
PSmurf78 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #13
sub-zero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Keokuk Iowa
Posts: 398
Default

The enzyme will not hurt you and at a point you are just wasteing it it can only convert so far and after that point is just wasted.

We use it were I work to convert starch into dextrose and put in like 260ml per min to 550gal starch per min.

Im thinking a tablespoon in a 5gal batch should do ya.

__________________

Running down the hallways of life with shoes untied blind fold on and scissors in both hands
===============
===============
In the Bottle--
(1968)Warsaw Pact IPA
Primary--
Socialist Pig Pale Ale
Bullshivit RIS
Big Ivan IIPA
--
BULLSHIVIT BREWING CO.

Just Good Beer And No BULLSHI-VIT!!!!!

sub-zero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
RevRon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 72
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSmurf78 View Post
So now you've got me curious about this too. I've seen this enzyme available at the brew shops, and now I'm thinking of picking up some for a batch I want to do in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking that the grains I was initially going to steep may benefit from adding amlase in.

Since the enzyme will be broken down by the boil, after which point I will add the sorghum extract, I'm not too worried about it going too dry. I'm hoping that I'll just be able to get more out of the millet, amaranth, and quinoa that I was going to use.

I'm interested to see if your alternative grains will work. Since Amaranth and Quinoa are both seeds and not cereal grains and all.
__________________
RevRon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #15
kontreren
Gluten Free Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kontreren's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 289
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-zero View Post
The enzyme will not hurt you and at a point you are just wasteing it it can only convert so far and after that point is just wasted.

We use it were I work to convert starch into dextrose and put in like 260ml per min to 550gal starch per min.

Im thinking a tablespoon in a 5gal batch should do ya.
Can you elaborate on the use of amylase and temperatures? I mean does it work putting it in at mash temperatures? Are certain temps better than others? Are there general guidelines for using amylase? Cold? Hot? Does it break down or not work at specific temperatures? etc. etc. etc.
__________________

Thankx,
Jesse, Home and Gluten Free Brewer

Member, Forsyth Masonic Lodge #707
Member, Winston Salem WortHawgs Brew Club
Lifetime Member, NRA
Lifetime Supporter, Homebrewtalk.com

http://www.worthawgs.org

http://www.queensboro.com/ref/EBCMMMSCNNN

http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/kontreren

http://www.bellaonline.com/site/Beer

kontreren is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #16
JoMarky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 363
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontreren View Post
Can you elaborate on the use of amylase and temperatures? I mean does it work putting it in at mash temperatures? Are certain temps better than others? Are there general guidelines for using amylase? Cold? Hot? Does it break down or not work at specific temperatures? etc. etc. etc.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-1.html
__________________
JoMarky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 02:01 AM   #17
frogfree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 35
Default

Sorry about not replying to this thread earlier. I kinda lost track of it since I was able to entice my friend into drinking cider instead of GF beer. I haven't done any experiments with regard to this.

__________________
frogfree is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #18
sub-zero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Keokuk Iowa
Posts: 398
Default

We shoot for 145*F when adding at one step and 170*F at another point.

__________________

Running down the hallways of life with shoes untied blind fold on and scissors in both hands
===============
===============
In the Bottle--
(1968)Warsaw Pact IPA
Primary--
Socialist Pig Pale Ale
Bullshivit RIS
Big Ivan IIPA
--
BULLSHIVIT BREWING CO.

Just Good Beer And No BULLSHI-VIT!!!!!

sub-zero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amylase Enzyme KayaBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 07-31-2011 10:38 PM
amylase enzyme android Fermentation & Yeast 6 08-27-2009 12:32 PM
Amylase Enzyme hayabusa General Beer Discussion 3 03-24-2009 10:22 PM
Amylase Enzyme? ericd Recipes/Ingredients 5 08-28-2008 09:27 PM
Amylase/Dry Beer Enzyme Epictetus General Techniques 1 04-03-2007 08:08 PM