Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > All grain GF sweet vanilla stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
mcbethenstein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any one try these? Sprouted quinoa. It's not cheap. This bag is $6.99 for only 12 oz. My local health food store has some in the bulk bins. 1#/$6.69 ouch! Would it basically be malted, or does it need to be sprouted further. If malting is a major PITA I might consider this, but only if I'm in a time crunch.

image-4130664163.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 01:28 AM   #12
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbethenstein View Post
Any one try these? Sprouted quinoa. It's not cheap. This bag is $6.99 for only 12 oz. My local health food store has some in the bulk bins. 1#/$6.69 ouch! Would it basically be malted, or does it need to be sprouted further. If malting is a major PITA I might consider this, but only if I'm in a time crunch.
I actually bought a package of the exact same thing, but I haven't done anything with it yet. To be honest, I thought it looked about the same as my quinoa after a couple hours soaking (which I was told wasn't sprouted yet).

But, it may well be worth a shot...

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 04-29-2011, 04:15 AM   #13
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

How about this? Right now I'm attempting to malt 8.5 lbs of buckwheat and about 2 lbs of millet. I skipped the quinoa... Couldn't find it cheap enough. If all works out well I want to roast 1- 1.5 lbs to a chocolate/black malt. So given that here is my recipe draft:

Vanilla Milk Chocolate Oatmeal Stout (Working title)

7.5 lbs buckwheat malt
1.5 lbs millet malt
1 lb chocolate buckwheat malt
0.5 lb black millet malt
1 lbs. GF rolled oats
1 tsp amylase enzymes to mash
1 oz. US Kent Goldings hop pellets
1 lb lactose
1/4 tsp supermoss
1 tsp DAP
1 pkt. Nottingham yeast
Cocoa powder
2-3 vanilla beans halved
gelatin if needed to help clear

Multi-step mash (pouring off enzyme water early & adding back later) process was described on another page.
Not sure if I need a 60 or 90 min boil.
Cocoa powder and vanilla beans in secondary.

What do you think? Am I missing anything? Anything seem off? I'm thinking of trying to find amylase enzyme powder to increase my mash efficiency.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #14
Buckwheats
Recipes 

I did something similar to this with buckwheat, millet and bobs red mill GF oats. I used more millet and 1 pound of oats. Final product seemed oily from the oats. I would not use oats as more than 10 percent of the grain bill. Even then maybe toasting to dry them out?

Old 04-29-2011, 05:18 AM   #15
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheats
I did something similar to this with buckwheat, millet and bobs red mill GF oats. I used more millet and 1 pound of oats. Final product seemed oily from the oats. I would not use oats as more than 10 percent of the grain bill. Even then maybe toasting to dry them out?
Were the oats whole, rolled, quick cooking, or steel cut? I got the GF quick cooking (oatmeal like) oats. They look really dry. I could Imagine the steel cut or whole oats might be oily.

How did you like it? What was your impression of the taste?

Old 04-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used Bob's Red Mill rolled oats for my oatmeal stout. I think steel cut or whole would need to be cooked before mashing.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 04-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #17
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

I love having 2 LHBS available. What one lacks the other has! I got 1.5 oz of amylase enzyme for $1.95. Love brew and grow. Love northern brewer. Buckwheat is looking great. And it appears even my millet is looking like it wants to sprout! I'll post pics as soon as I upload them. Im revising my recipe too. Will use 1 tsp amylase enzymes as part of the multi-step mash, Cutting oats down to 1 lb (from 2lbs) Switching to EKG hops (from willamette) and adding DAP at end of the boil.
You don't think it's too much do you? I read on one thread on here somewhere that with barley you can do the minimum and get a pretty good beer but with GF you need to pull out all the stops before you get something great.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #18
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

When do I kiln the buckwheat? after about 30 hours this is what I have. the roots are about 1/2 to equal length to the groat. I started the millet last night, and am just starting to see rootlets bumping their way out, but not in huge quanitity yet.

malting-buckwheat.jpg   millet-sprouting.jpg  

Old 04-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #19
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Oops, I forgot about the d2 syrup. If it looks too light going into the boil or the gravity is not high enough I'll add it.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:05 AM   #20
Buckwheats
Recipes 

Your buckwheat looks great! I would dry it now.
I also used bob reds mill rolled oats for my stout. The oat flavor did come through, I just had the oily problem.

Quick Reply