The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Advice on recipe required - Rice malt and Sorghum malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
spaced
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Advice on recipe required - Rice malt and Sorghum malt

Hi All,

Looking at doing a gluten free brew and after some advice. Feel free to put your two cents in:

****** Original Recipe ******
60 mins
- Sorghum malt 3KG's (approx 6lb's)
http://www.brewerschoice.com.au/onli...-tub-28kg.html
- Rice malt 1KG (approx 2lb's)
http://www.brewcraftsa.com.au/showPr...Extracts/60075
- Hallertauer hops 10grams

15 mins
- Hallertauer hops (10grams)
- Wirlfloc tablet

0 mins
- Hallertauer hops (10grams)

****** Final Recipe ******

700grams Sorghum Syrup + Dark Belgian Candi syrup
1Kg Rice malt syrup
20 grams Hallertau hops @ 60 mins
15 grams Hallertau hops @ 15 mins
Wirlfloc tablet @ 15mins
15 grams Hallertau Hops @ flameout (0 mins)
700 grams Sorghum syrup + dark belgian candi syrup
500 grams Rice malt syrup

2 x US-05 Safale yeast
1 x yeast nutrient

N.B.
* The combined sorghum syrup + candi syrup was all the local brew shop had in stock due to QLD floods.
* Stuffed up and put too much rice malt in initially, should have been 750 grams not 1kg.
* AA of the hops was 4.6%
O.G. 1040

I'm going to over pitch the yeast but I'm open to suggestions on what type of dry yeast to use.

Currently have this brewing - http://www.brewerschoice.com.au/onli...-pale-ale.html

It's a full Gluten free kit, and so far it's going well.

Last edited by spaced; 01-29-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Would it be crazy to suggest you cut back on the sogrhum syrup a bit? Maybe try a 50/50 blend of sogrhum syrup and rice syrup with the same hopping schedule...

Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
pintail78
Recipes 

strongly dry hop it, and add di-ammonium phosphate, it will ferment out in a couple of days instead of a few weeks.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:06 AM   #4
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

yea but I'd still let it sit and let the yeast clean up even if it was done fermenting in 1 week

Old 01-16-2011, 02:29 AM   #5
spaced
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
Would it be crazy to suggest you cut back on the sogrhum syrup a bit? Maybe try a 50/50 blend of sogrhum syrup and rice syrup with the same hopping schedule...
I'm guessing that will make for a less sweet brew? I know the sorghum can be very sweet.

Would this be the same as the rice malt I linked above? It's cheaper and I can get it locally. http://www.glutenfreeshop.com.au/Pur...rup-P2512.aspx

Also dry hopping, I've got a general idea what that is. Will I need some flower hops (not pellets). Is di-ammonium phosphate yeast nutrient?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced View Post
I'm guessing that will make for a less sweet brew? I know the sorghum can be very sweet.

Would this be the same as the rice malt I linked above? It's cheaper and I can get it locally. http://www.glutenfreeshop.com.au/Pur...rup-P2512.aspx

Also dry hopping, I've got a general idea what that is. Will I need some flower hops (not pellets). Is di-ammonium phosphate yeast nutrient?
It will have less of the "twang" taste that you get from the sorghum syrup. That rice malt you have listed looks alright to me.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
pintail78
Recipes 

ive found that getting it to start and ferment faster, still at good ale temps give less twang. so the diammonium phosphate (its a simple nutrient-like a fertlizer) and getting your yeast going the day before helps this process.

to dry hop just throw some hop flowers (or pellets if you dont have them), maybe 1/4 to 1/2 oz or so into the fermenter. i try not to touch the before they go in.

lots of the ales in the uk go straight from the fermenter to a keg and then pub in a week or 10 days, they are really good. so im not sure you need to let it set around too much after your sure its done. this is a pretty debatable point. So I keg and cool it, and start drinking after a day or so!

I have a 5 gallon 6# sorghum 1# dark candy OG 1.060 FG 1.012, that I brewed exactly one week ago using these techniques. It is excellent right now, in fact i dont think anyone could tell its GF.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced View Post

Like BBBF said, it will have less "twang". If a beer is sweet that's because there are some unfermentable sugars present. I'm pretty sure sorghum syrup and rice syrup (or malt syrup) are highly fermentable and won't leave a whole lot of residual sweetness like blackstrap molasses would.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
Like BBBF said, it will have less "twang". If a beer is sweet that's because there are some unfermentable sugars present. I'm pretty sure sorghum syrup and rice syrup (or malt syrup) are highly fermentable and won't leave a whole lot of residual sweetness like blackstrap molasses would.
+1 on sweetness coming from unfermentable or unfermented sugars.

Sorghum syrup is about 75% fermentable sugars
BRS is about 80-85% fermentable sugars.

A 50/50 blend of rice-sorghum does a really good job of matching the carb/protein/fat and mineral profile of barley extract. Additionally I've noticed that it really helps to minimize the sorghum 'twang' lots of people notice.

Or if you don't like the twang, just dry-hop the bejeebers out of it and you'll be fine (particularly if you have a citrusy hop to dry-hop with, like Cascade or Amarillo).

oh, and as pintail said, definitely use some DAP to help boost the fermentation, as BRS has very few nutrients to help along the fermentation.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
spaced
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. If I want to bring up the alcohol content do you suggest adding in some corn syrup (does it go at the end or the start of a boil). Also should I add the rice malt to the end or the start of the boil, as I've heard people say not to boil honey.

Quick Reply