Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Adding Oranges to sorghum beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #11
chilort
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've zested oranges and used the zest in a GF beer we call Sunshine in a Bottle. I put the zest in at the end of the boil after the wort has come down to 160*. I hold it there for about 10min, then chill the wort. When I make the non-GF version of this I also use the zest of one lemon. But with the citrus flavor often so present in sorghum based beers, I skip the lemon zest for the GF version.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
dukesbb37
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbob View Post

5 Gallon Batch

6 lbs White Sorghum Syrup
1 lbs Amber Candi Syrup (homemade, not sure on exactly how dark it ended up so far as SRM goes)
1 oz Saaz @ 60min
0.5 oz Saaz @ 30 min
1.5 oz Saaz @ 0 min

Fermented with S-23 for 3 weeks @ 60-65F, 2 day rest @ 72F (not sure if it was needed, just head some bad stories about S-23), 3 day crash @ 32-45F. No secondary, bottled with 160g of Amber Candi Sugar. Ran about 5.5% ABV before bottling.

did you ever find a way to add body? i might copy this...

Old 05-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
exbeerimenter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbob View Post
I'm not entirely happy with it mind you. It really needs some malto dextrine and possibly some oats or something to give it some body. It has a very very weak head to it. Only my first shot at a GF brew.
I agree with plumbob: I just sampled my first attempt at a GF beer (which has been bottled for a week) and the head was almost non-existent. I used Safale US-05 dry yeast in a yeast starter. Does anyone have an idea as to why there's little to no head? Would aging will help?

In addition, added about 10 oranges (fresh juice / peels) to this brew in primary fermentation...little to no orange aroma or taste came through. Perhaps the sorghum syrup is over powering? Any thoughts/ideas?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
mloster
Recipes 

For head, I'd try adding a pound or two of some malted GF grains. I've had great luck with that in all my batches.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Yeah, adding grains definitely makes a difference in head retention. Particularly grains with some protein (quinoa, oats, buckwheat have all yielded good results so far for me).

Old 05-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
exbeerimenter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice...I did steep about a 1/2 lb of malted oats in the brew kettle. Waiting another week after bottling (2 weeks total) seemed to improve head retention.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
mloster
Recipes 

Careful with matled oats though. There could be cross contamination if they'r stored/ processed with barley. I, myself, haven't had any issues but someone who is very gluten sensitive/ intolerant could. I'd go with 1 lb of malted quinoa or millet.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
exbeerimenter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloster View Post
Careful with matled oats though. There could be cross contamination if they'r stored/ processed with barley. I, myself, haven't had any issues but someone who is very gluten sensitive/ intolerant could. I'd go with 1 lb of malted quinoa or millet.
I'm worried about cross-contamination too, as I'm making the gluten-free beer for my sister with Celiacs, so I may have ruined it (for her at least). I'll have to try the malted quinoa on the next batch...I'm not sure if my home brew store has this, but I may have seen them at whole foods.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #19
mloster
Recipes 

No, a homebrew store won't have malted quinoa. You'd have to buy quinoa at some place like the whole foods bulk bin and malt it yourself. For a pound or two, it's not too much of a pain to do, but once you start malting 10+ pounds, it becomes a hassle.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
MariposaSouth
Recipes 

Back to the zest/head retention parts of this post... My experience with citrus zest - orange or lemon - is that it's an absolute head destroyer. There it a lot of oil in citrus peels. I wash mine in hot water, squeeze and roll them in my fingers (you can see the oil spray out here), wash them again, lightly roast them in the oven, then wash them again, then let them dry out. They're somewhat woody at this point, and can be saved in a paper bag for later use.

Quick Reply