Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Gluten Free Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/)
-   -   1st Gluten Free -Cloudy and tastes like Grapefruit (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/1st-gluten-free-cloudy-tastes-like-grapefruit-398991/)

cank 03-19-2013 09:11 PM

1st Gluten Free -Cloudy and tastes like Grapefruit
 
1 Attachment(s)
I can't find the post where I got this recipe but I know I had to sub Centennial for Amarillo and I didn't use Steel - cut oats or Maltodextrin


Here's the final recipe I used:
Volume: 5.00 gal
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.008
Style: India Pale Ale or American Pale Ale

Ingredients
Grain/Extract

LME - White Sorghum Syrup 3.0 lbs Boil for 60.00 min
LME - White Sorghum Syrup 3.0 lbs Boil @ flameout
Rice Syrup Solids 8oz. lbs Boil for 60.00 min
Candi syrup amber, D-45, 1.00 lbs Boil for 60.00 min

Hops

Summit (16.00%) 0.50 oz Boil for 60.00 min
Citra (14.10%) 0.50 oz Boil for 30.00 min
Citra (13.20%) 1.00 oz Boil for 15.00 min
Citra (14.10%) 0.50 oz Boil for 10.00 min
Centennial (9.30%) 1.00 oz Boil for 5.00 min
Summit (16.00%) 0.25 oz Boil for 5.00 min
Citra (13.20%) 1.00 oz Boil for 1.00 min

Centennial (9.50% ) 0.50 oz Dry Hop for 5-7 days
Citra (13.20%) 0.50 oz Dry Hop for 5-7 days

Yeast

S-05 Safale

My Wife hates it(and that is who it's for). It tastes like fermented grapefruit and she hates grapefruit!

I went ahead and put it in the Keg but I am afraid it's not going to get any better, i.e. loose the grapefruit taste.

Is there anything I can do to save this?
Why such grapefruit flavor?
Does the Sorghum make it so cloudy?

QuercusMax 03-19-2013 09:20 PM

Sorghum often gives a bit of a sour flavor in large quantities. And you used a lot of citrusy hops. Maybe try different hops and less sorghum next time?

bds3 03-19-2013 09:30 PM

Although not as much as cascade or simcoe, citra and centennial hops are grapefruity (to many - obviously all hop varieties have different flavors to different people). Plus it's an IPA, so basically you used grapefruity hops to make a hop-heavy beer, and asked why it tastes like grapefruit. It's kinda like asking how your beer ended up having alcohol in it. It actually looks wonderful to me; sorry it doesn't to your wife.

Never used sorghum so not sure about the cloudy. My beers are cloudy occasionally; not that cloudy, but still, if you're not entering it in a competition don't worry. It should clear a little with time.

QuercusMax 03-19-2013 09:38 PM

I've made some sorghum beers and they've turned out pretty cloudy at first, but cleared up a bit with time. They never got really clear, tho. Are you using the BriessWeet syrup?

m_stodd 03-19-2013 09:41 PM

Try gelatin. My first gluten free brew was super cloudy to the point I thought it was infected. Threw in gelatin, and the next day it was clear.

cank 03-19-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_stodd (Post 5023464)
Try gelatin. My first gluten free brew was super cloudy to the point I thought it was infected. Threw in gelatin, and the next day it was clear.

Can you use gelatin at any point and have it clear things up? I'll read up on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuercusMax (Post 5023456)
I've made some sorghum beers and they've turned out pretty cloudy at first, but cleared up a bit with time. They never got really clear, tho. Are you using the BriessWeet syrup?

I had 3 lbs Briess and then 3lbs from AustinHomeBrew.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bds3 (Post 5023440)
Although not as much as cascade or simcoe, citra and centennial hops are grapefruity (to many - obviously all hop varieties have different flavors to different people). Plus it's an IPA, so basically you used grapefruity hops to make a hop-heavy beer, and asked why it tastes like grapefruit. It's kinda like asking how your beer ended up having alcohol in it. It actually looks wonderful to me; sorry it doesn't to your wife.

Never used sorghum so not sure about the cloudy. My beers are cloudy occasionally; not that cloudy, but still, if you're not entering it in a competition don't worry. It should clear a little with time.

I'll admit I have not used Citra before but I have used Centennial in NB Dead Ringer kit and it did not have this flavor at all. I mean, this tastes like grapefruit juice not beer(even kinda looks like it :) )

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuercusMax (Post 5023411)
Sorghum often gives a bit of a sour flavor in large quantities. And you used a lot of citrusy hops. Maybe try different hops and less sorghum next time?

Yes, I will definitely be changing the recipe. :mug:

ChasidicCalvinist 03-19-2013 10:40 PM

I never, ever use more than 3lbs of sorghum. If you brew this again I'd up the amount of brown rice and maybe throw in a pound of honey. When I use irish moss, or other such things, my sorghum beers are clear, when I don't, they are cloudy but get better with time. But you can't taste the cloudiness so I never cared to add anything to it.

cank 03-19-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasidicCalvinist (Post 5023654)
I never, ever use more than 3lbs of sorghum. If you brew this again I'd up the amount of brown rice and maybe throw in a pound of honey. When I use irish moss, or other such things, my sorghum beers are clear, when I don't, they are cloudy but get better with time. But you can't taste the cloudiness so I never cared to add anything to it.

So, is it the sorghum that's adding the twang? If it's the hops, that should mellow out after a while but if it's the sorghum I doubt that will fade.

I don't mind the cloudiness either but next time I will add some irish moss to see the difference.

Duly note on the amount of Sorghum. Would you add it at all at flame-out?

igliashon 03-20-2013 01:07 AM

Sorghum prominently accents the citrus character of any citrusy hops (Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, Chinook, Citra, Galaxy, Simcoe, Super-Alpha, Sorachi Ace even!), and I've brewed a good few beers that came out tasting like Squirt or Orange Crush at first. It mellows over time--give it a good 3 months or so and see how it does. In the future if you want to use those kind of hops and not get alcoholic fruit soda, use at least 50% rice syrup, and DO NOT LEAVE OUT THE MALTODEXTRIN. In GF beers, maltodextrin is NOT optional, it is MANDATORY. Every beer I've brewed without it, I've wished I had added some. It really significantly improves mouthfeel and head retention, I use at least 4 oz in a 3-gallon batch, and often as much as 8 oz. It never does anything bad, and it seems to always do good. Adding yeast nutrient to get some extra FAN in there also seems to be worth it; the yeast works fine without it, but I do believe adding it helps to cut the cidery/sour taste that can develop.

As for the cloudiness: use Whirlfloc tabs in the boil. Every time. Doing a secondary can help too, but if you dry-hop, there will be some residual cloudiness until the bottles have cold-conditioned for a while due to something from the hops.

ChasidicCalvinist 03-20-2013 01:12 AM

I think your "twang" is primarily coming from the choice of hops. Sorghum adds a "twang" though I've never actually tasted it. I second Igliashon, it will mellow with time.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:05 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.