Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > 100% buckwheat ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
igliashon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I agree, I think blending will ultimately lead to the best beers. That's how Green's does it, all of their beers feature a mix of gluten-free grains, and they're hands-down the best on the market. I do think it will also depend a lot on style; I can't see buckwheat working well in a pale ale, but I can imagine it being perfect in a stout or a nut-brown ale. At a guess I'm thinking millet will prove to be the most versatile grain, though...it has a mild, sweet flavor when cooked, unlike the fairly strong tastes of quinoa and buckwheat but also not quite as bland as most rices. Then again, I have never cooked with teff or amaranth, so I could be missing out on something even better...the small size just really puts me off.

The real question to me, though, is can we come up with gluten-free beers that are good in their own right, rather than being poor imitations of barley-based styles? What can we do *better* with gluten-free grains? I really hope the next few decades will bring us out of the shadow of barley and into brave new worlds of brewing....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My favorite GF beer is still Sprecher's Mbege because it isn't trying to be "regular beer." It's just an Africian beer that is natually GF.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
BREWSTERED
Recipes 

Default Brew with buckwheat or wheat berries

I posted a long reply to buckwheat brewing because of gluten intolerance, but the web page didn't reload it. So it is lost.
Anyways, to make this short and sweet, I would suggest for less hassle brewing to mix the wheat grains with wheat extract, fruit like beets, and brown sugar, to make up the difference. You would need a whole lot of grains to make even a 5 gallon batch. Get it already "malted" because I tried "malting" my wheat berries from the health foods store and it is quite a pain. It worked but a real pain. I couldn't find "buckwheat". Maybe in a feed grain store they might have it. But I will keep "malting" my grains at a minimum!
I have mixed wheat berries with barley extract, and pale malt (dried) with brown sugar. It made 7 bottles!. It is real hoppy with 3 types of hops. The fermented wort tastes really strong and a fine smooth finish. I haven't tried the finished beer yet. So this wasn't so short after all. I had better copy and paste!
Just joined today!.
Happy Brewing!

Old 11-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey man, I think you may have stumbled into the wrong section. This is Gluten free brewing. Wheat is actually very bad for us, as is barley so we brew with other grains and fermentable products. I feel I also have to disagree with you, I have found malting buckwheat to be very easy and I have made some damn good beers using it. I am actually roasting some that I have just malted as I type this, and no, it was not bought from a "feed store". It was bought from a health food shop. But Thanks for the input anyway man.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Yeah, buckwheat is not even remotely related to wheat. Understandably confusing, but nevertheless.

I wonder what we can do to keep confused "regular" brewers from accidentally wandering into this section?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Something like a "Ye be warned" sign? Haha

Granted, I go through the 'regular' beer section for ideas on different recipes. And I occasionally post ideas. But I do know where I am, and that theirs will be slightly different.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I think it most often happens when they come here through a search or viewing all new posts.

Quick Reply