Your Finishing Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenBeer

Reaction score
I recently was in a brew pub talking to the brewmaster there who let me know that they ferment their beer all the way down to 1.001. So became interested to know how your home brews get down to. For me dependent on style I usually get everything down to about 1.010-1.008 where my reading had previously told me was perfectly acceptable. Other than time does any one have tricks to get down to 1.001 or does this seem like a futile waste when we could be drinking perfectly good beer?

I suppose that all depends on the beer style and yeast strain being used. Outside of "wild" beers the only thing I can really see going down that low would be something using 3711. For most all styles I wouldn't want to see gravity go that low as residual sugar is part of most styles character.

You sure he didn't mispeak?

I recently was in a brew pub talking to the brewmaster there who let me know that they ferment their beer all the way down to 1.001. So became interested to know how your home brews get down to. For me dependent on style I usually get everything down to about 1.010-1.008 where my reading had previously told me was perfectly acceptable. Other than time does any one have tricks to get down to 1.001 or does this seem like a futile waste when we could be drinking perfectly good beer?

1.001 is very dry. Almost wine like. I'm surprised and would even question if that is true (unless its a Brett beer).

The "trick" is to add sugar during fermentation to bring the gravity down. Yeast eat simple sugar first. So, You ferment a few days with your malt (complex) so that the yeast consume most of it, then you add sugar later in fermentation. The yeast keep feeding on the malt along with the easier to digest sugar and it drives the gravity down. Oxygenation is also important to keep the yeast healthy. This is common practice in high gravity beers and many Belgian styles.

Question on this enzyme.. is it possible to add to much?

Will it impart any off flavors if you do?

No I don't think it will impart off flavors and I don't know how much to add since I haven't used it. The theory as I understand it is that its an enzyme that can break down unfermentables that cannot be broken down otherwise. To me its a shortcut and can help with stuck fermentations . To me ,though, it really isn't "natural" to the brewing process. It's kinda like fake boobs vs. real. I like them both and the result is the same but I prefer them natural ;)

adding amylase won't add any off-flavors and it definitely doesnt automatically equal a 1.000 FG (beano likely will tho). ive used it a few times with great results. a tsp is all that is needed

To me ,though, it really isn't "natural" to the brewing process.

I wouldn't really say that. its the same enzyme as used during the mash so theres nothing really artificial about it.

adding amylase won't add any off-flavors and it definitely doesnt automatically equal a 1.000 FG (beano likely will tho). ive used it a few times with great results. a tsp is all that is needed

I wouldn't really say that. its the same enzyme as used during the mash so theres nothing really artificial about it.

Understood. Natural is not the right word I guess. Maybe unnecessary. I guess I don't see the point in going that low. My Tripel and Golden Strong always end around 1.006 and its plenty dry. But to each their own I guess.

I guess I don't see the point in going that low. My Tripel and Golden Strong always end around 1.006 and its plenty dry. But to each their own I guess.

Agreed. I don't want to be that low unless its a saison or brett/bacteria beer. I'd only use amylase as a fix for a higher than desired fg. in the few times ive used it, its never taken me >85% attenuation

My most recent RIS has finished at 1.028 from 1.103, bit annoyed it didn't get down to 1.020 target, only 71% attenuation. Used plenty of s04 slurry and shook and swirled for a few times in first 24 hours.

Think I'll stick to Nottingham in future and pitch rehydrated dry yeast.

I could probably pitch something else or try a few things but I'm not too concerned about it being so high (unless there are fermentables in there and when I add yeast for bottling it gives me some bombs).

Oh, most of the time I'm in the 1.008-1.012 range for normal gravity beers.

i dont think i would like to get such a low FG, i like my beer to have malty flavor, ie i love strong IPA at 1.012-16FG where strong hops aroma and bitternes blend together with sweet malt flavor

Heh, I've had two beers finish under 1.010 that I couldn't stand because they were like water. Damn thermometer was off.

Add the source of fermentables to that list as well. I never had an extract batch finish below 1.018.

I never had that problem. Most of my IPA's finish around 1.012-1.014. I have had Belgians and Saisons finish as low as 1.004.

Search for the 1.020 curse, it's a common issue with extract brewers.

I believe it, I just didn't experience it that often. Since going to AG I haven't had beers that high unless it was high gravity. That being said, I have a cooler basement and my lower gravity extract beers (1.012-1.016) finished that low when I used pure O2 as opposed to shaking.

Search for the 1.020 curse, it's a common issue with extract brewers.

It may be a common issue , but not due to extract. Most likey it is some thing like the recipe, or a yeast issue, aeration, fermentation temp, but not just because it is extract.

It may be a common issue , but not due to extract. Most likey it is some thing like the recipe, or a yeast issue, aeration, fermentation temp, but not just because it is extract.

I know it's just anecdotal, but Yooper has had similar experience to me.

I've done a LOT of extract brews- certainly more than 40- and I had many that had an OG of 1.060 or higher that indeed DID end at 1.020. Oftentimes, it IS the extract or other ingredients. It wasn't a "myth" in my case, I assure you. I do know how to manage yeast, starters, aeration, temperature control, and so on.

Anyway, if it stays at 1.020 and doesn't budge, it'll be fine.

Add that to my experience of extract only beers finishing at 1.018 or higher, partial mashes finishing between 1.012 and 10.14 and all grain batches finishing around 1.008 (all with the same aeration, temp control, US05 yeast and extra light DME sourced from Rebel Brewer) I am fairly certain that extract usage contributes to the FG...

Add that to my experience of extract only beers finishing at 1.018 or higher, partial mashes finishing between 1.012 and 10.14 and all grain batches finishing around 1.008 (all with the same aeration, temp control, US05 yeast and extra light DME sourced from Rebel Brewer) I am fairly certain that extract usage contributes to the FG...

It does make sense and lack of control over the mashing process is a major reason I moved to AG. It's all about the CONTROL :rockin:

Great conversation. I should say that they are making all grain and I was as well. Didnt think that should matter since we are not adding anything strange thats not in the critical fermentable relm. Though I am very with some of you here, the big ticket item to me was if the beer is hitting the ABV and flavor I am looking for why ferment down to 1.001? it is possible he miss spoke but I thought the ubeleiving my voice and 3 times asking 1001? even in a loud brewery was heard.

Great conversation. I should say that they are making all grain and I was as well. Didnt think that should matter since we are not adding anything strange thats not in the critical fermentable relm. Though I am very with some of you here, the big ticket item to me was if the beer is hitting the ABV and flavor I am looking for why ferment down to 1.001? it is possible he miss spoke but I thought the ubeleiving my voice and 3 times asking 1001? even in a loud brewery was heard.

This may help. What are the styles of beer to they sell. Are they lagers, wheats and porters or berliner weisse, gueze and lambics.

They were all very common ales and lagers. I think a Irish ale one heffey that was pretty good. But nothing like a saison or lambic.

I would still guess that he misspoke, or you misheard. Very few beers apart from sours finish that low. One point O one sounds a lot like One point O O one when spoken aloud in conversation.

I would still guess that he misspoke, or you misheard. Very few beers apart from sours finish that low. One point O one sounds a lot like One point O O one when spoken aloud in conversation.

Ya I was thinking maybe he said 1.010. That would make more sense.

Back