Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yes 1 more yeast starter ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
dogtailale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yes 1 more yeast starter ?

Im sorry.

I have not yet made a starter. So far Ive been doing great, Get the wort down to 78 82 dg with immersion chiller put in fridge with a ranco 2 stage controller with brew heater. Killer bubbles within 4 hours every time.

Now for my ? so far Ive been making 5gl batches only. Got me a keg couple weeks ago so now I guess Ill be doing 10gl batches.
I know Ill be doubling my grains and hops per batch,
What about the yeast?

From what I understand but I think Im wrong..... This Is a example======== numbers are fictitious.

When I buy a pack of wyeast It contains 1,000,000 yeasties ( enough to do a 5gl batch) and then I make a starter with ( X ) amount of (?????) would I have 2,000,000 yeasties ________ enough to do a 10gl batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
kwantam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mr. Malty's Pitching Rate Calculator will help you get your starter size figured out.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
dogtailale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwantam View Post
Mr. Malty's Pitching Rate Calculator will help you get your starter size figured out.
Thank you
Im sorry,,,,,,, Thats WAY over my head. Im not very computer program savvy

Old 10-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Without starter, according to Jamil's calculator, you would need 4 vials of yeast. With one vial/smack pack and a starter with shaking it every now and then, you would need almost 5L of starter. That is of course on a 1.048 beer. Higher OG, more yeast needed.

So here you go: No program savvy required.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
aMillionDreams
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Make a big starter. Forget the online calculators.

On deck: Pliny the Elder, Heather Ale
Fermenting: Strawberry Melomel, Imperial Belgian White, Pumpkin Ale
Carboy #1: Cream Ale
Carboy #2: Hoptoberfest
Carboy #3: Raspberry Melomel
Tap #1: Two Hearted Clone
Tap #2: Spiced Bourbon Stout
Tap #3: Raison D'Etre Clone
Bottled: Belgian Trippel, NB Farmhouse Saison Ale, Apfelwein, Duvel Clone, Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, JABM (Blackberry)

Old 10-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If you can't figure out the calculator then I'd suggest that you make a 1 gallon starter a week or so before your brew, chill and decant. Then the night before the brew make another 1qt starter to wake the yeast up, then pitch the whole thing in to the brew.

That at a minimum is what I would do. I'll also suggest making or buying a stirplate, that will up the cell count in your starters considerably!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
dogtailale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchunk View Post
WOW
I just scanned over this link and now Im LOST. In that link Is says I need two smackpacks for one 5.25gl batch of brew 1.048 or larger to get proper cell count.

To this date the last 7 batches Ive brewed where all WAY over 1.048. (The few brew before Im not counting they were just add water kits) Ive only used one wyeast activator smackpack perbatch all brew came out GREAT.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtailale View Post
WOW
I just scanned over this link and now Im LOST. In that link Is says I need two smackpacks for one 5.25gl batch of brew 1.048 or larger to get proper cell count.

To this date the last 7 batches Ive brewed where all WAY over 1.048. (The few brew before Im not counting they were just add water kits) Ive only used one wyeast activator smackpack perbatch all brew came out GREAT.
Just imagine how much better they will come out when you start pitching the proper amount of yeast!

Underpitching can cause off-flavors from stressed yeast or even give you a stuck fermentation.

If you slide that Growth Factor bar on the bottom of the calculator all the way to the right, you can get to making a starter with only one vial/packet.

Alternatively, you could start using dry yeast and just pitch multiple packets.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
ipatch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchunk View Post
Without starter, according to Jamil's calculator, you would need 4 vials of yeast. With one vial/smack pack and a starter with shaking it every now and then, you would need almost 5L of starter. That is of course on a 1.048 beer. Higher OG, more yeast needed.

So here you go: No program savvy required.
Nice link.

cheers
-Chris

Old 10-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
dogtailale
Recipes 

Wyzazz

Im agreeing with you and others this is just a new chapter in this hobby that heard about but never really opened. ITS open now.

later this weekend Ill be making one of those stirplates
computer fan, radioshack reostate, Hard drive magnets,

But were do I get one of those stir things that goes in the flask without paying 7.99 shipping

Quick Reply