Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > yeast weighing after washing ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
Creepersale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default yeast weighing after washing ?

is there any way of weighing your yeast after i have washed and stored in mason jars ? or is it needed ? the yeast i have collected in a half a pint jar is definatly way morethen whats in a WL vile ! from what can I tell but is that all i need to know is just eye balling it ?? lol thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 80

No, you don't weigh washed yeast. You can however use mr.malty.com to get correct pitching rates in volume of yeast. Or you can get more serious and use a microscope....but that may be overboard.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Why not measure how much yeast you have using something like a beaker or measuring cylinder. If you have another mason jar the same size then put water into it to the level of the yeast in your mason jar. Measure the volume of water and use that and the date you harvested (or preferably when FG was reached in the brew) as the basis for calculating starters required using Mr Malty and YeastCalc.

I think that will take the guess work out of it to some degree.

Quick Reply