Yeast washing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
I have 2 questions:

1. If I'm using White Labs California Ale yeast and wash it can I then use the washed yeast for any APA or IPA I brew next or is it recommended to only use it for the same recipe again? For example if I made a pale ale with cascade hops and then wanted to make an IPA with chinook and simcoe, I can still use this yeast for both batches without any off flavors correct?

2. I've read that you can use 5 generations worth of yeast. Does this mean you start with the first yeast strain for a batch of beer. Then it's washed and you now have 4 yeast jars for the 2nd generation batches. With the 2nd generation you can get as many as 16 jars of washed yeast which would last me half a year or more and would then be used for 3rd generation batches. Is this correct?

Thanks

should be ok for all ale that yeast is good for

but look at number of post i have

I have 2 questions:

1. If I'm using White Labs California Ale yeast and wash it can I then use the washed yeast for any APA or IPA I brew next or is it recommended to only use it for the same recipe again? For example if I made a pale ale with cascade hops and then wanted to make an IPA with chinook and simcoe, I can still use this yeast for both batches without any off flavors correct?

2. I've read that you can use 5 generations worth of yeast. Does this mean you start with the first yeast strain for a batch of beer. Then it's washed and you now have 4 yeast jars for the 2nd generation batches. With the 2nd generation you can get as many as 16 jars of washed yeast which would last me half a year or more and would then be used for 3rd generation batches. Is this correct?

Thanks

A:
1. It is recommended to pitch up in gravity points i.e.: go from a 1.048 to a 1.052 to a 1.060 beer etc. Part of the goal of washing process is to leave behind all the hops & trub & just harvest the yeast.
2.Some people get even more generations. Provided your sanitation is top notch and you do not notice any off flavors or attenuation problems, 5 generations is a relatively safe number, and yes each successive generation yields that much more yeast. You can end up with more yeast than you'll ever possibly use.

-d

I have 2 questions:

Yep, you've got it. After you've washed it, what you're left with is just plain old yeast, no different from buying a new vial at the LHBS. You'll probably want to make a starter when you use your washed yeast, but other than that you can use it for any beer you want.

Thanks

Yep, you're right again. I've never made it as far as you're describing, but theoretically you're right. One cake can give you yeast until the end of time.

Back