*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #981
TacoGuthrie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Here are three different strains i have washed. I used the same methods, including volume of water, on all of them but have pretty varied results after settling.

I posted this picture in another thread and someone mentioned that my slurry is too thin and to use less water next time. Comments?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #982
Chefencore
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGuthrie
Here are three different strains i have washed. I used the same methods, including volume of water, on all of them but have pretty varied results after settling.

I posted this picture in another thread and someone mentioned that my slurry is too thin and to use less water next time. Comments?
How much water are you putting in? Put in what you want to get out I am using half-pint jars and usually throw in 5 or so(5 cups). I expect to get out at least 5-6. After a few weeks I decant and combine them into 1 or 2 just because I have only 12 jars right now. But I generally get more yeast than what you have.

If you have an abundance of jars, and you're going to reuse quickly, I'd use 4-5 jars, and use each as a starter for your next batch. That way you cut down on the generations.

"What do you use to weigh down your hop spider?"

"Hops..."

Old 04-26-2011, 02:56 AM   #983
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

I have been putting in as much water as in the OP. A large mason jar (1L) and 4 smaller ones (250ml).

Sounds like next time I will heed your advice and 'put in what i want out'.

I think i'm going to decant and combine what i've got. that is another good idea.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #984
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've ended up with anywhere between what you have in the darkest one and the one next to it. I brew a lot of 2.5 gallon batches so I pitch that amount into a starter (after decanting) and it's worked well. For a 5-gallon batch I'd either double up on them or step up a starter to build up more yeast, though.

I also didn't like having 10-12 jars taking up space in my fridge where my beer should be chilling so I started decanting the liquid off and pouring the yeast carefully back into a sanitized test tube like they came in.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #985
BrewerofBeer
Recipes 

I used this method with great results! But i have a question for you guys. The yeast i harvested came from an under pitched beer. The beer turned out ok, but i wonder if by under pitching that beer that would make the yeast any worse off. I am planning on making this same beer again soon and was going to just reuse this yeast after making a starter for it. Btw this was a lower grav beer at 1.053 which finished out at 1.008. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #986
theshoe82
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

After pouring through pages upon pages of posts, I have a noob-ish question I did not see answered.

Are we harvesting this yeast from the primary fermentation vessel or the secondary fermentation vessel?

Thanks!
-DC

Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #987
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Harvest from the primary. If you harvest from the secondary, you'll be selecting for poorly-flocculating yeast (as it hadn't already flocced out in the primary).

Old 04-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #988
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

Use the yeast cake from the primary, theshoe.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:20 AM   #989
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

What is the best method for combining jars?

Can i decant 2 and pour it into an jar with existing yeast? Or is it better to totally sanitize another jar, decant and combine into that one?

Old 04-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #990
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerofBeer View Post
. Btw this was a lower grav beer at 1.053 which finished out at 1.008. Thanks in advance.
I might be missing something here, but 1.053 as an OG isn't actually what I would call "low-gravity" necessarily. A majourity of the beers I have made have been around that gravity (or even lower) with the exception of some strong stouts, and you should have an ABV of about 5.8%. That's not terrible. With no more info on what kind of beer it is or what the OG was "supposed" to be, it sounds like it might not actually have been low-grav. . .
Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

SWIBA: (She Who Is Bad Ass) bought me a 6gal Better Bottle! Excellent.

Quick Reply