Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #801
AugustDerleth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Probably a stupid question. Is the yeast from a secondary fermenter viable for washing?

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

SWIBA: (She Who Is Bad Ass) bought me a 6gal Better Bottle! Excellent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #802
The Drizzle

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustDerleth View Post
Probably a stupid question. Is the yeast from a secondary fermenter viable for washing?
I'd imagine so, but I'd also imagine that they'd be the least flocculant of the batch. That's fine if you don't mind propagating a yeast that's less and less flocculant.

ugh

Old 10-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #803
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustDerleth View Post
A little while back Brew Strong did a show on yeast washing. They said you want to use only yeast from the primary because those are the most flocculant.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #804
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for your responses! I had already washed and stored the yeast out of the secondary, but I still have the washed from the primary of the same beer so I'll hang onto the secondary washed for a rainy day! Thanks---

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

Old 11-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #805
LesNichols
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast Washing

without reading all 81 pages. Can you u screen out all the trub and so on from the the primary and then let it settle leaving only the yeast?lets say put in your clean water ,shake , then pour through a screen into you jar and let it settle just to remove all the big stuff maybe make it a lil easier not to pour any junk into you cleaned yeast? i hope this make sense?

Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #806
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hmmm. What is the best temperature to maintain these samples at?

Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 AM   #807
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There is another thread here somewhere on how to Freeze yeast. That is what I do. It is supposed to last a LONG time that way. Where as fridge temp stored yeast dies off slowly.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:37 AM   #808
MikeRoBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

why do you let is settle out and use just the slightly-yeasty-water instead of just scooping out the mucky yeasty goodness??? curious. Thanks for the great thread

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Old 11-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #809
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoBrew1 View Post
why do you let is settle out and use just the slightly-yeasty-water instead of just scooping out the mucky yeasty goodness??? curious. Thanks for the great thread
You get all the other stuff in the trub (fermentation byproducts, pieces of hops, etc.) that you don't want to carry into future beers. Having straight yeast also helps you see how viable it should be, because dead yeast turn brownish while live yeast will be a white to off-white color.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #810
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoBrew1 View Post
Part of the muck is proteins which might degrade over time and cause off flavors.

On a side note; I have found in order to get the muck to settle out first and save only the yeasty water, the solution MUST be really thinned out. Once there is a layer of muck, I decant off the liquid and cold crash that. The cake in the bottom of the jar after this cold crash is really white this way.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Quick Reply