Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #71
SuperiorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombo80
I was having trouble getting it to siphon, so I just used my turkey baster to transfer the yeasties from jar to jar. Yeah, I know it was dumb on my part, but I got it done, and I think it turned out very nice. I need to get something else setup to transfer the yeast from jar to jar.
You can just dump right from jar to jar, that is how most do it, I tried the Mini Auto Siphon and dumping from jar to jar and prefered the Mini.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #72
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I dumped from the primary into the gallon jar. I guess I was just trying to stay away from all the top layer of wort, and actually get down into the upper level of the yeast. Pouring into the half gallon jar might be OK. I'll try that next week. I might even get a large syringe to suck them out. I have a SS one that I use for injecting brine into meat for smoking. I bet that would work, and being SS, I could put it in when I'm sterilizing the jars too.

Thanks

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 01-27-2008, 01:03 AM   #73
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just washed some yeast today. Can anyone tell me roughly how long I have to use it until it's no longer viable? Also, I assume you simply refrigerate these at a standard temperature, not freeze them.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:19 AM   #74
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts

I think Bernie has used some up to about a year, but he said it took a while to get his starter going on that one.
If you want to freeze them and keep for years then you need to add glycerine and do it like descrigbed here: Guide to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank

Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #75
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
It seems to me that there have been quite a few inquiries about yeast washing lately, so since I was racking/washing today, I grabbed the digital camera to illustrate one way of doing it. I have had great success with this method, so I thought I'd share. Here goes:

The only materials that I use besides regular racking equipment is this:
4 pint sized Mason jars w/lids
1 larger container for extra water
1 kitchen tongs
My old boiling kettle from my original brewing kit.

I put all the stuff- lids and all- in the pot and add enough water to cover it:

Boil it for about 20 minutes or so. This will sanitize everything as well as get rid of any oxygen in the water, so the yeasties will take a nice long nap. Then remove the jars and lids with the tongs, keeping them full of water.

Cover all the jars and let cool in the fridge for several hours, or maybe overnight.

Very nice illustration on how to wash yeast. I don't go as far as you are but I usually am re pitching with in 2 weeks of the last brew. I also make a starter from the washed yeast. I'll keep washing the 5 different yeast strains and brewing beer till about the end of April. Next year I'll start with new Wyeast Activator packs and start all over again.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #76
Bombo80

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just washed a batch of Rocky Mountain Lager yeast. This is my second batch I washed. It worked really nice. I always make sure I have enough water though. I add a gallon into the primary and pour it off, back into the gallon jar. Let it settle and gently dump into my half gallon jar, let that settle, then pour into pint jars. I actually filled two, at first, then added a bit more water, mixed that up, the poured off into the last two pint jars. Works great, and it's very easy.

I might look into the small vials and glycerine, to freeze them,for long term storage.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #77
scottfro
Recipes 

thanks for the great and simple instructions. i just washed my first yeast cake a nice addition to my other yeast culturing skills.

Secondary:

Bottled:
#30 Chocolate Porter
#27 Smoked Ale
#26 Hard Apple Cider (Champagne Yeast)
#25 Big Als' Blackberry Brew 2008
#15 Hard Apple Cyser

Kegged:
#31 Field Hand Hefeweizen

http://www.deterrabrewing.com/forum <-- Vancouver Homebrewing Network

Old 01-31-2008, 06:38 AM   #78
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
I think Bernie has used some up to about a year, but he said it took a while to get his starter going on that one.
If you want to freeze them and keep for years then you need to add glycerine and do it like descrigbed here: Guide to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank
Even though it's been over half a week since I washed my yeast there's been something gnawing at the back of my mind. I couldn't find mason jars so I cleaned out a couple of salsa jars. Bear in mind I scrubbed them hard with hot water and bleach dish soap. Then I boiled some water and put it in side, to the brim to let it sterilize them.

Now before I get any responses of "what the heck were you thinking?!" I want to add that I'm okay if this doesn't work out right. I consider it practice if nothing else. But what I would like to know is if, despite cleaning and sanitizing the jars very thoroughly, will that slight salsa aroma ruin the yeast? I'm concerned that if I did use the yeast, assuming the starter works, that it'll leave salsa off-flavors in the beer. Am I worrying over nothing?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:53 AM   #79
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinGutesBier
Even though it's been over half a week since I washed my yeast there's been something gnawing at the back of my mind. I couldn't find mason jars so I cleaned out a couple of salsa jars. Bear in mind I scrubbed them hard with hot water and bleach dish soap. Then I boiled some water and put it in side, to the brim to let it sterilize them.

Now before I get any responses of "what the heck were you thinking?!" I want to add that I'm okay if this doesn't work out right. I consider it practice if nothing else. But what I would like to know is if, despite cleaning and sanitizing the jars very thoroughly, will that slight salsa aroma ruin the yeast? I'm concerned that if I did use the yeast, assuming the starter works, that it'll leave salsa off-flavors in the beer. Am I worrying over nothing?
I'm no expert....and I don't want to derail you expierementation (which I admire), but I'm going to say if it was me, I wouldn't use salsa jars....if there is a smell, there are remants IMO....Now if it works...W O O T Salsa Beer!

But I'd head down to walmart and spend the $10-$15 on 1/2 pint mason jars (or whatever size you desire) to be sure that you are ok...You can use them for other stuff as well.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #80
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04
I'm no expert....and I don't want to derail you expierementation (which I admire), but I'm going to say if it was me, I wouldn't use salsa jars....if there is a smell, there are remants IMO....Now if it works...W O O T Salsa Beer!

But I'd head down to walmart and spend the $10-$15 on 1/2 pint mason jars (or whatever size you desire) to be sure that you are ok...You can use them for other stuff as well.
Yeah, I'll have to invest in some jars from Walmart. The funny thing is, the jars themselves didn't smell of salsa...and I made sure there was zero residue, so that's not an issue. However, the plasti-rubber linings on the lids are what smelled of salsa. I figure if I make a starter out of them, the yeast will sort of "burn off" any remainder of the salsa odor.

Quick Reply