Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #701
BigB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldesign View Post
if i boil jars and water as said and seal.....would this water be considered sterile and be saved for a month or so till the next rinsing session?
As long as the lid pop up button seals down, you shouldn't have a problem... a depressed pop-up is evident of a sealed jar. If it is sealed, then nothing can get in and the water should be fine for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldesign View Post
can you reuse the lids for yeast i know canning you toss the lids after each use when they seal and pop? great thread i'm still working through it.
Ideally, you wouldn't reuse the lids. But I do. My thought is that if the lid is clean and boiled for 20 minutes, and doesn't have any obvious defects, it should be fine. Besides, the way I look at it is that the most I am going to lose is a little time and some reused yeast. It should be pretty evident if something is wrong with your yeast by the time it would make it to the final wort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #702
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Newb question, but do you have to use a big jar then transfer in the mason jars, or can you just pour it into the little mason jars and skip the big one.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #703
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Reading through this yesterday I became inspired to start making yeast cultures and banking them.

I can get a horde or mason jars from my mom who stopped canning a decade ago. I was thinking of getting them to canning the garden veggies with them this year anyway.

All my carboys are currently empty, so I'm thinking of starting by rebuilding cultures from my bottles and some bottles of Orval.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #704
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
Newb question, but do you have to use a big jar then transfer in the mason jars, or can you just pour it into the little mason jars and skip the big one.
You can, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea. The point of using the big jar is that when you pour everything into it and let it sit for a bit, you let the trub settle, leaving the yeast in suspension. Then you pour off the suspended yeast into the little jars, leaving the trub behind. That way you have only yeast in the little jars. If you pour everything straight into the little jars, they'll be filled with trub, which you don't want.

Make sense?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #705
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Noob Answer: I'm guessing you could pour into two small mason jars then transfer them both to a third small mason jar.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:23 AM   #706
Killercal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What do you guys think about this?

I did my first yeast wash a couple of weeks ago and got 6 mason jars full (not the 4 that was originally posted). All six jars have about 1/5 to 1/4 of yeast at the bottom and the liquid is pretty translucent as they have been sitting in the fridge for about 2 weeks. I would like to free up some shelf space in my fridge if possible so what would be the repercussions of trying to get all the yeast into 2 or 3 jars after they have been in the fridge for 2 weeks unsettled?

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #707
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

you should have plenty in the 2-3 jars you keep to start a starter...My advice is to make beer and use a couple jars or just toss them and use the remaining 2-3 as intended...

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 06-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #708
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Carefully decant off MOST of the liquid out of all the jars. When you start pouring yeast out, stop. Then swirl the jars to get the yeast back into a slurry state. If you need to add some liquid back in, use as little as possible. Then pour this into TWO jars. After they settle, repeat again down to one jar. Or just fill one jar now and dump the little bit that won’t fit.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #709
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post
Hehe.. my first attempt (I was quick about it and didn't care if it was a success) was just the opposite of yours. I got just as much, if not more, but you can see color layers... so the washing didn't work so well.

I figure that a little trub isn't going to hurt me if I pitch reasonably soon. If not, I'll just dump it all or see if my dog wants to eat it.

Scott
Only if you don't like your dog. Hops is poisonous to dogs.

This whole yeast washing is really easy. I would recommend trying it on a batch of Nottingham or something else you don't really care about just to see how easy it is. All you need is a few clean jars or lids, a pot to boil them and some water in, or a 5 gallon bucket of Starsan and a small 2 quart saucepan to boil the water in.
Rack from primary as usual. Pour about a quart of the boiled and cooled water in and shake it. Let it settle for 20 minutes. Pour off the top layer down to the darker layer into the four smaller jars. If your experience is like mine, the darker layer will almost 'stick' to the bottom of the jar. It is easy to separate.
If you still end up with a substantial amount of dark material, re-sterilize the larger jar, and pour each smaller jar back into it, top off with boiled and cooled water, and divide the good stuff back up into the 4 re-sterilized jars.
Pretty much like shampoo. Rinse and repeat.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #710
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starderup View Post
I would recommend trying it on a batch of Nottingham or something else you don't really care about just to see how easy it is.
Good advice! But the way I look at it, you should try it on any batch that you are not going to try to reuse some other way (i.e., using slurry, pouring a new wort on the trub, etc.) Because all you would end up doing would be to dump anyways, so why not try to wash it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Quick Reply