New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #691
rsmith179
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The big thing to remember when working with yeast is that you want the most STERILE environment possible. Although StarSan works great as a sanitizer, you won't get the best results by simply using StarSan. Boiling the jars, especially using a pressure cooker, will pretty much guarantee that you have a sterile jar to keep your washed yeast in.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #692
Bentpirate
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

+1 Good point - sterility vs sanitization. I didn't look at it like that..... thanks!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #693
ErieShores
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 136

OK, I followed the instructions and I currently have two ready in the fridge. I want to be clear here and I don't want to read through 70 pages on this thread.
I simply pull one out the day before brewday and pitch it on my cooled wort? That simple?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #694
Moose777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No, you will need to make a yeast starter from that to build up enough yeast cells for an adequate pitching rate.

KEG 1: (ON TAP) Waldo Lake Amber
KEG 2 :(ON TAP) Imperial Stout
KEG 3: (ON TAP) Irish Red Ale [COLOR="Blue"]
KEG 4:(On Tap) Centennial Blonde
KEG 5: Creamy Bikini
KEG 6:

On deck:
Vanilla Bourbon Porter (for this winter)
Ed Worts Oktoberfest with Kolsh yeast Yummmy
Yooper Stone Ruination IPA
ErieShores Likes This 
Old 05-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #695
ErieShores
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose777 View Post
No, you will need to make a yeast starter from that to build up enough yeast cells for an adequate pitching rate.
Thanks Moose, I've just been reading up on making starters.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #696
starsailor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mineral deposits on boiled jars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raenester View Post
Thanks so much for this great post. I'm getting ready to wash my first batch of yeast, from my Xmas Ale I'm bottling tomorrow and I have question that's not so much to do with the washing as it is with prepping the jars.

I just finished boiling my new mason jars and they came out with a white, hazy film on them. I scoured some canning forums and saw several places referring to this being common with water that has a lot of minerals in it. I live in San Diego and we have pretty hard water, so I assume these are just mineral deposits from the 20 minutes they spent boiling. The fix they suggest is to add some white vinegar to the water and that will get rid of the film. Obviously I can't do that if I'm using the water they are boiled in to suspend the yeast so my questions are:

1. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it mineral film? Or something to do with the new jars, maybe I needed to was them better?

2. Do you think the jars (and the water in them) are safe to use? Or should I dump them and start over.

3. In future batches do you think it makes sense to boil them in a vinegar spiked water to eliminate the film. Then drain them, like you would for canning, and fill them with either separately boiled water or distilled water?

Hopefully I'm worried about nothing but I thought I'd run it past the hive mind and see what comes back.

Thanks again.
I know it's been a while since the question of mineral deposits on boiled jars was posted, but I have the same problem and thought I'd share my way around it.

The whitish film on the jars is a mineral that precipitates during boiling. It will coat pretty much every surface that's in the pot with the boiling water, but a large majority of it will just fall to the bottom of the pot. In most cases this is calcium carbonate. See your water treatment chapter(s) in your homebrewing references more on this mineral in your water, how it affects temporary hardness, and how to get rid of most of it. The rest of this post is all about the later, getting rid of it.

Anyway, I have lots of calcium carbonate in my well water (source water). To get rid of it this is all I do. First boil about 5% more of the source water than I need for 15-20 min. in a large pot and let it cool to 100F or so. If you have a lot of mineral(s) in the source water you'll be able to see some crystaline stuff in the bottom and on the side of the pot. Keep the pot very still while cooling. Once cool, laddle the water out of the cooled pot into another vessel being careful not to disturb the settled minerals on the bottom or side of the pot. Now scrub and wash the pot real well with a kitchen scrubber. Dry the pot. If there's still any trace of whitish haze or mineral crystals in the pot a white vinegar wash should get rid of it for good, but rinse very well if you do.

Now pour the demineralized water back into the clean pot and use it to boil your jars etc. Then proceed on to yeast washing using this water.

Using this procedure my jars come out of the boil clear and clean. I've used yeast washed with this double boiled water for several batches now with superb results.

Please keep in mind that this procedure only removes (most of) the minerals that precipitate out at boiling. Any minerals that don't precipitate out at boiling are still left in the water, and unfortunately at a higher concentration than the source water because this boils some of the water away. Calcium carbonate usually makes up nearly all of the precipitate, but a few other minerals will precipitate as well, mostly other calcuim and magnesium salts. Refer to water treatment disucssions online and in your homebrewing (or chemistry) references for the behavior of other minerals and your local source water analaysis for what minerals are present in your source water.

BTW, as a side note, if you're doing anything else with boiled jars or bottles, like canning or baby formula, this same basic procedure works fine for that too. Also if you need to do this to keep your jars clean then don't forget to clean and flush your hot water heater frequently too because the bottom of your hot water tank is probably loaded with the same mineral precipitate.
Primary: Rye-I-Brew Belgian Rye Saison
Secondary: None
On Deck: Wheat ale
RIP: BadBoy Wit, Wild Cider, Got Mild?x2, Wyeast Cider-2x, SO4 Cider, Wheat ale, Carnival Kölsch-2x, Am Pale Ale, Am Brown Ale, Dunkel Larger, Erik The Red, Newporter, Cream Ale, Bitter, Trapist Triple, Bourbon Oaked Porter, Gluteus Minimus(Gluten Free)-2x, English Brown

Wizards Homebrew Club

Old 06-03-2010, 02:36 AM   #697
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just used a washed sample of Trappist High Gravity in a session sour. Two days on a stir plate and I got krausen in my airlock overnight. Thanks BB!

I don't have "hobbies", I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Little House On the Sand Pit on Wordpress
Two If By Sea Brewing (2XC) on Facebook
Facebook BIAB Group
Facebook Southcoast Homebrewers Association
SCHBAMA@gmail.com
Partigyles Gone Wild on Basic Brewing Radio <-Hey, that's me!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #698
jldesign
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if i boil jars and water as said and seal.....would this water be considered sterile and be saved for a month or so till the next rinsing session? just thinking of saving time and boiling up a bunch and saving for the future. the lids have poped and all? can you reuse the lids for yeast i know canning you toss the lids after each use when they seal and pop? great thread i'm still working through it.

busy busy busy

Old 06-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #699
jalgayer
Recipes 

Wow. You are a trooper! If someone asked you to do all that for THEM and offer to pay you $5.99 - would you do it? That seems like a ton of work and time to save $6, bro. Just a thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsailor View Post
I know it's been a while since the question of mineral deposits on boiled jars was posted, but I have the same problem and thought I'd share my way around it.

The whitish film on the jars is a mineral that precipitates during boiling. It will coat pretty much every surface that's in the pot with the boiling water, but a large majority of it will just fall to the bottom of the pot. In most cases this is calcium carbonate. See your water treatment chapter(s) in your homebrewing references more on this mineral in your water, how it affects temporary hardness, and how to get rid of most of it. The rest of this post is all about the later, getting rid of it.

Anyway, I have lots of calcium carbonate in my well water (source water). To get rid of it this is all I do. First boil about 5% more of the source water than I need for 15-20 min. in a large pot and let it cool to 100F or so. If you have a lot of mineral(s) in the source water you'll be able to see some crystaline stuff in the bottom and on the side of the pot. Keep the pot very still while cooling. Once cool, laddle the water out of the cooled pot into another vessel being careful not to disturb the settled minerals on the bottom or side of the pot. Now scrub and wash the pot real well with a kitchen scrubber. Dry the pot. If there's still any trace of whitish haze or mineral crystals in the pot a white vinegar wash should get rid of it for good, but rinse very well if you do.

Now pour the demineralized water back into the clean pot and use it to boil your jars etc. Then proceed on to yeast washing using this water.

Using this procedure my jars come out of the boil clear and clean. I've used yeast washed with this double boiled water for several batches now with superb results.

Please keep in mind that this procedure only removes (most of) the minerals that precipitate out at boiling. Any minerals that don't precipitate out at boiling are still left in the water, and unfortunately at a higher concentration than the source water because this boils some of the water away. Calcium carbonate usually makes up nearly all of the precipitate, but a few other minerals will precipitate as well, mostly other calcuim and magnesium salts. Refer to water treatment disucssions online and in your homebrewing (or chemistry) references for the behavior of other minerals and your local source water analaysis for what minerals are present in your source water.

BTW, as a side note, if you're doing anything else with boiled jars or bottles, like canning or baby formula, this same basic procedure works fine for that too. Also if you need to do this to keep your jars clean then don't forget to clean and flush your hot water heater frequently too because the bottom of your hot water tank is probably loaded with the same mineral precipitate.

Regards,
Jason

BOTTLED / DRINKING
Mad-Elf Inspiration, Graff

SECONDARY
Flander's Sour Red {1 Year Old on July 28, 2011}

PRIMARY
Vanilla-Almond Pumpkin Ale, Surly Furious, Triple Karmelite Clone

ON DECK
Double White

Old 06-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #700
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am going to start washing my yeast now, after thinking about it for a couple of months.
I bought my jars this morning, I bought 4 oz jars to save the washed yeast. Will this be enough for a starter? I thought that was the size that was used...

Quick Reply