Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #51
explosivebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Someone pointed me to this fantastic thread and I have now harvested two yeast cakes, putting each into five sterilized 12-oz bottles and capping them. Each bottle had about 6 oz of settled yeast cake.

I was actually able to put one of them to use. I don't know if I did it right, but I put the refrigerated bottle in lukewarm water to help activate the yeast. Then I poured off the watery top layer and shook out the yeast into my primary. The fermentation went like gangbusters! Instead of one bubble in the airlock, sometimes three were making their way up in succession. I've never had a fermentation go that fast.

I assume that's due to the large amount of yeast I started with. Does that mean I should split my next yeast cake into ten bottles instead of five?

Another question that comes to mind is how many generations is yeast usually good for? Should I harvest the yeast cake from this rapidly fermenting batch? Or just use the rest of my second-generation bottles when the appropriate batch calls for them and start anew after that?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #52
rabidgerbil
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivebeer
I assume that's due to the large amount of yeast I started with. Does that mean I should split my next yeast cake into ten bottles instead of five?

Another question that comes to mind is how many generations is yeast usually good for? Should I harvest the yeast cake from this rapidly fermenting batch? Or just use the rest of my second-generation bottles when the appropriate batch calls for them and start anew after that?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

As to splitting it into more bottles, your whole point of doing this is to get a good strong fast fermentation, and if you are getting five more batches out of the previous batch, you are getting a good return on your money, so why bother?

As to how many generations, that is a common topic of discussion. There are those that will only go five generations, there are those that say you can go to ten or more generations, if you are using good sanitation techniques. The biggest thing to remember is, if the you know the yeast well, and know how it should ferment, and it is still doing that, then it is still good. If you are getting odd flavors, or it is taking forever to kick off, etc, then you have probably had a mutation happen, and you should start with a fresh batch.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #53
explosivebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerbil
As to splitting it into more bottles, your whole point of doing this is to get a good strong fast fermentation, and if you are getting five more batches out of the previous batch, you are getting a good return on your money, so why bother?
Logistically, I guess I don't really want my fridge filled with ten bottles of every yeast strain I try. I was just curious if there was a minimum amount of yeast you'd want in each container. As it is, I think I'll have more than enough with my current process.

If I find some smaller, stackable containers I might split my batches up a bit more but for now I'm happy to have seemingly learned how to wash and store yeast!

Thanks again to the OP.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

Old 12-17-2007, 10:23 PM   #54
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Logistically, I guess I don't really want my fridge filled with ten bottles of every yeast strain I try.
I try to do just that. Hell, I've got strains that I haven't brewed with yet.

But I'm quickly finding it to be a bit pointless since I've used English Ale in a ratio of 5:1.

I keep my yeast banked in baby food jars and just line them up in the freezer door. Each jar is enough to grow a starter and replace the jar. That said, I've got a few dozen strains in there and it doesn't take up too much space though using vials in a rack could dramatically reduce the amount of space that collection is using up.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 12-18-2007, 12:52 AM   #55
rabidgerbil
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Logistically, I guess I don't really want my fridge filled with ten bottles of every yeast strain I try. I was just curious if there was a minimum amount of yeast you'd want in each container. As it is, I think I'll have more than enough with my current process.

If I find some smaller, stackable containers I might split my batches up a bit more but for now I'm happy to have seemingly learned how to wash and store yeast!

Thanks again to the OP.
I use half pint canning jars, they hold enough to make the next starter with, so that is perfect, and they stack pretty nicely, and are easy to label with some freezer tape.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:42 PM   #56
Smogre

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sweet thread!
Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #57
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks Bernie, I gave it a shot today. I had just racked 10G of a Fat Tire clone with the Wyeast VSS Fat Tire yeast.

I had to much yeast in that fermenter I was able to dump about 2 quarts of sterilized water into it and come up with this gallon of mostly suspended yeast & left almost all the trub behind.

I had only boiled 5 mason jars, or I am sure I could have easily filled 7 or 8 jars. But chances are I wont even use the 5 before it's too old.

I used the Fermtech Mini Auto Siphon, it worked great I was able to keep the tip right in the middle of the suspended yeast and not disturb the trub at all.

All labeled and put in the fridge. Now just waiting for them to clear to see how much I ended up with.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:09 PM   #58
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #59
cowgo

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
That's just a beautiful picture!
Kegged/bottled: Cowbrau Heifer Weizen, Kolsch, House Ale
Commercial Brews in Fridge: Nothing! Finally got the pipeline filled.
Past HB Favorites: Dead Dog Barley Wine (She was a good dog)
Up Next: Faux Urquell Blond Ale and Irish Red

Secret Hidden Mancave Build (x2) Thread Cowbrau eBIAB Brewspace Build Thread
MrFeltimo Likes This 
Old 01-14-2008, 12:25 AM   #60
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgo