Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #521
Bru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a yeast cake which has been sitting in the primary for a few days - the beer has racked off it. Its been sealed and kept sanitary - how long can I wait before washing the yeast ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #522
k2brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So... I was originally planning on brewing Sunday and was going to make my starter after work. However, something came up and if I don't brew tonight I have to wait until next weekend (not the end of the world, but I am trying to get this ready for Christmas and I like to bottle condition for a month so I really need to get this going).

My question is, if I make a "starter" as soon as I get home from work and I pitch it 6 hours later, is that enough time? This is the first time I have used my washed yeast so I am not quite sure how it will take off. Maybe I'll stop at LHBS on the way back and pick up a reserve pack of dry yeast just in case.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Cheers

K2 Brews
President & CEO... also Lead Taster!

On-Deck 1 => Oktoberfest
Primary 1 => Blonde Ale
Secondary 1 =>
Drinking => Doppelweizenbock, Apfelwein, Fuggly Blonde, Oktoberfest, Dunkelweizen

Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #523
Jenks829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru View Post
I have a yeast cake which has been sitting in the primary for a few days - the beer has racked off it. Its been sealed and kept sanitary - how long can I wait before washing the yeast ?
Bru,

I don't have an answer to your question but I can tell you that I just did exactly what you said. I bottled a beer on Saturday (10/17) the sealed the carboy with aluminum foil and placed in my dark garage. It was no warmer than 70 this week and my garage stays cooler then the outside ambient temperature. I just washed the yeast from that batch last night (10/22) so I waited 5 days. I took a whiff of the carboy when I took the foil off and everything smelled fine. I realize that my nose is not a scientific instrument but my litmus test would have been: If it smells bad or anything NOT like yeast, I won't wash. If it smells like yeast similar to a starter/trub, then I will wash".

If I notice any discolorations in the weeks to come or find it produced a bad/infected starter, I will be sure to post to this thread and let you know.

On Deck: This will be the summer of wheat beer experiments!

Primary: Pomegranate Wheat, Apricot Wheat, Wine Beer

Secondary: 2012 Washington State Merlot, 2012 Italian Carmenere, 2012 Italian Montepulciano, 2012 Italian Barolo, 2012 Central Valley Viognier

Aging in bottle: 2010 Washington State Merlot, 2010 California Cabernet Sauvignon, 2011 Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon

Drinking:

Old 10-25-2009, 06:31 AM   #524
Bru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great - thanks. I ended up washing it and it looks and smells fine.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #525
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru View Post
Great - thanks. I ended up washing it and it looks and smells fine.
On any other forum, this would cause a lot of raised eyebrows.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #526
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I made a starter yesterday morning with my first yeast washing attempt and it's bubbling away right now

Old 10-26-2009, 01:57 AM   #527
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is there an optimum time period for a starter ? I have read 2-3 days are the best ..is a lesser time a violation ?

I was wondering this this weekend...I had planned to try to make a starter on Thursday night so I cld brew Sat or Sunday. Of course, I forgot to make the starter.

I guess it doesn't matter this weekend, since I took a direct hit at a birthday party last night, so no brewing anyway today for me...still in recovery mode..(but they all loved my beer )

Anyway, is there any plm with making a starter one day and brewing 24 hours later ? I should know by then if the yeast are viable, at least.

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 10-26-2009, 02:10 AM   #528
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
Is there an optimum time period for a starter ? I have read 2-3 days are the best ..is a lesser time a violation ?

I was wondering this this weekend...I had planned to try to make a starter on Thursday night so I cld brew Sat or Sunday. Of course, I forgot to make the starter.

I guess it doesn't matter this weekend, since I took a direct hit at a birthday party last night, so no brewing anyway today for me...still in recovery mode..(but they all loved my beer )

Anyway, is there any plm with making a starter one day and brewing 24 hours later ? I should know by then if the yeast are viable, at least.
I've done it a few times and it seems to work just fine. Shoot, I did it my last brew. I made my starter the night before the brewday and pitched it at around 4 pm the next day. My 5.5 gallons of porter was fermenting in 45 minutes!
I typically make my starters for medium gravity beers with 4 cups of water to 1 cup of light dme.
I boil that that for 15 minutes and cool.
I add 3 turkey baster pulls of washed yeast and let it rip.

Works every time for me.

If I don't forget to make a starter, I typically make one 2 days b4 my brew day.

Good Luck,
J

Old 10-26-2009, 02:12 AM   #529
freebd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark View Post

last night about 7 pm I pulled some yeast that I had washed a few weeks back and made a starter with it...I started my brew and pitch my starter at 1 am that had taken off in only 6 hours...by 6 am the wort had a good start on the krausen and was churning along very nice...

Old 10-26-2009, 02:59 AM   #530
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I pitched my starter I made with washed yeast today at around 5:30 and I just checked it about a half hour ago and I had activity in the airlock! Now I'm wondering if I'll need a blowoff tube.

Quick Reply