Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 01:18 AM   #471
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Went back the other night and picked up another jug. I did the turn the carboy on it's side trick and then decanted that into the tea jug. At first I wasn't impressed with the final results, I almost got on here to talk about how much I suck at washing yeast. But after the jars settled in the fridge I saw a lot more yeast had dropped out. Then I got home today and it's really thick. My girlfriend even noticed without me saying anything about it.

So I am here to advocate the turn-carboy-on-side-then-decant-into-tea jug method. Works great.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 02:52 AM   #472
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Alright, I was turning the camera on and off the whole time I was getting a hair cut so I could show off the skillz. Then had to search everywhere to find the camera chord.

Here's my very ****ty photo of my washed Irish Ale yeast using the method mentioned above.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 08-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #473
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Did this for the first time this morning. The 3 720 ml jars are now settling. I had 4 jars ready but really needed just the 3. The large jar is 2500 ml, so logical that I'd need just the 3. But I prepped 4 and had them all ready with water and such. Process went well. They're settling in the fridge now and all seems well. They're still cloudy though, so no follow up, settled photos yet.

You can see the brown line in the first photo, which is not a shadow. That's the brown sediment. In the last photo, you can see what was left behind in the large jar. There's a very clear line where the brown sediment is settled there. You can see a tiny amount of white above it in that photo. But the three jars were totally full, so that's that.

And here's after settling in the fridge for four hours. You can see a couple of small floaters at the top of the two right jars. Otherwise, milky goodness settling into layers. The bottom's hard to see, but it's powdery yeast, nice and thick.

Last edited by MattHollingsworth; 08-23-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added picture.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:46 AM   #474
Lexvegas
Recipes 

How do you get the yeast from the carboy into the big Mason Jar? Just pour it?

Old 08-25-2009, 03:01 AM   #475
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yep. Pour just the liquid with the yeast suspended in it. Leave the sediment behind.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #476
Falcor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Surprised no one has asked this yet (got to page 10 or 12 and didn't see it)...

You put all off the jars in the fridge full of water, even the pint jars. Then later you fill the pint jars from the larger one.... but the pint jars are already full because you left the water from the boil in them. So when do you pour the water out of the pint jars, just before filling? Is this to make sure that no nasties can get into the jar while its cooling because its full of sterilized water?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #477
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I believe they all are emptied into the fermenter. So the pint jars are empty too when you fill them with the larger jar.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #478
Falcor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ah, I read that post several times and didn't pick up on that part. I see that now but it still doesn't seem right... I end up pouring large jar + 4 pints into the fermenter. Swirl and fill large jar. I'm supposed to have 4 pints left in fermenter when this is done? Seems like I'd be watering down my yeast solution and leaving a bunch in the fermenter.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #479
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 16

After dumping in the fermenter, if you let it sit for a few minutes the heavier stuff will sink, leaving the yeast up in suspension. the liquid you leave behind is from the bottom so you leave trub and hop particles and dead yeast clumps behind.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #480
Falcor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All makes sense now. Thanks guys

Quick Reply