New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #301
mountain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for this excellent writeup. Instructions are well written and helpful, and the photos made everything clear to this novice.

I washed the yeast from my first batch - Scottish 60 shilling, using a Wyeast British Ale 1098 - and pitched it into the second - a slightly modified Cream Ale. Both batches were kits from Northern Brewer. The second batch is bubbling away, so it must have worked!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 04:04 AM   #302
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What's the reasoning for using just the yeast that stays in suspension? Are the denser yeast colonies that fall to the bottom of the jar less hardy?

Old 01-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #303
PKsBrew
Recipes 

Great thread, thanks for all the info. I washed the yeast from a pale ale last week end, followed the steps and what do you know...it turned out just as described. Now I have four batches of yeast begging to be used. Really excited about the $$ savings and wishing I had more capacity now! Thanks again!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #304
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNBrews View Post
What's the reasoning for using just the yeast that stays in suspension? Are the denser yeast colonies that fall to the bottom of the jar less hardy?
No, that is not the issue. You are not deciding between two strata of yeast. The trub which includes all of the detritus of the brew uncluding dead yeast, yeast hulls, and myriad other trash items are will fall out of suspension first leaving the live yeast still in suspension. This is only a lag of a couple of hours before the yeast itself will fall out too. So you want to catch it while the debris is sitting on the bottom and the yeast is still in suspension.

Oh yeah, there is a bunch young vibrant viable yeast that will be in among that debris that you will leave behind. Oh well. The important thing here is to get rid of the debris.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #305
Bender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Yeast in a fruit base

Will this technique work for yeast that has been in a wort with fruit added? I notice that the trub I wash out of a carboy that has had cranberry juice added looks and smells a lot different than the yeast from a batch with no fruit.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #306
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Forget my question.

How do you fill up the jars? Syphoning or pouring?

Last edited by petep1980; 01-30-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #307
kcstrom
Recipes 

Sorry if this question has been asked already (I skipped over the middle part of the posts in this thread).

Since the beer/yeast is getting diluted down with water before being poured into the jars and stored in the fridge, is there any concern about botulism being able to grow in the washed yeast mixture while it is in the fridge over a long period of time since the pH of what's in the jar is higher (less acidic) than the beer it was extracted from?

Thanks for this guide by the way. I've made a couple of brews now with washed yeast following this method.

kcstrom

Old 02-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #308
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did this last night. At $6.79/wyeast talk about a money saver. And supposedly yeast can last for 5 generations? Incredible. I'm also thrilled it seems if you can get them in a sterile environment (the boiled water you added to the trub) they'll last an incredibly long time.

Last edited by petep1980; 02-12-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #309
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I have done a lot of yeast washing with Sourdough for bread & pizza baking but never with beer yeast. Some similar ideas going on and yet some major differences. Usually when you wash the Sourdough you are doing so to rid it of an infection or to revitalize it.

So here is my question which I did not see mentioned in this great thread, what is the temperature of the water you pitch into the carboy or fermenter? If it is straight out of the fridge, doesn't it shock the crap out of the yeast? Or are you letting the water come to room temp?

I read through the thread twice, don't tell me I missed it because that means my old eyes are due for a washing.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #310
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
I have done a lot of yeast washing with Sourdough for bread & pizza baking but never with beer yeast. Some similar ideas going on and yet some major differences. Usually when you wash the Sourdough you are doing so to rid it of an infection or to revitalize it.

So here is my question which I did not see mentioned in this great thread, what is the temperature of the water you pitch into the carboy or fermenter? If it is straight out of the fridge, doesn't it shock the crap out of the yeast? Or are you letting the water come to room temp?

I read through the thread twice, don't tell me I missed it because that means my old eyes are due for a washing.

I usually pull the water out of the fridge as I am setting up to rack the beer. I can't tell you what it warmed up to in that amount of time, but I never had any issues.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply