New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #291
Dougan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Actually what you missed is contained in the photos of the process. When you pour the contents of the fermenter into the big bottle as it sits in the bottle for about an hour you will get basically three layers. You have to look for them to understand. There is the muddy water layer that takes up the vast majority of the bottle. Good stuff here - you want this. 2. a secondary layer layer of yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Good stuff here too and 3. If you look closer at that sedimented layer it itself is divided in two with the bottom layer being slightly darker . This is the bad stuff that you do not want to go on to the next bottle.

The OP does not tell you to refrigerate the first big bottle. YOu do not refridge until the process is complete and you are storing it. Otherwise the yeast will fall out of solution onto the trub and it will be harder to separate.

Your whole purpose here is to catch the lighter yeast while they are still in suspension and the heavier debris has precipitated to the bottom. You should be pouring cloudy liquid to your next step, not beer looking stuff. If it looks like beer you waited far too long.
Thank you, this answers my question. I have a starter that's already bubbling and a couple glass peanut butter jars in the fridge. Just should make sure I label them right, they looked a little too much like peanut butter when I put them in there...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #292
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
I think I understand what you are asking and to be honest I don't know how bad of a practice it is. I've never found out because I always wash out the nasty stuff out before storage.

You have to figure that even in an alcoholic media there will still be some decay of that dead yeast and other debris eventually that could then contribute off flavor to your beer.

Why risk it when washing is so easy?
So is pitching onto a yeast cake an acceptable practice?..., but for storage of yeast, washing is much better? Is that a fair synopsis?

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #293
Plan9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
So is pitching onto a yeast cake an acceptable practice?..., but for storage of yeast, washing is much better? Is that a fair synopsis?
That is pretty much the consensus.

Central Florida Home Brewers

http://twitter.com/PlanNine

Old 01-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #294
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Sorry if I missed it but does it matter what the beer was that was on top of the yeast cake that I intend to wash? Like...what if I brewed a stout with an ale yeast...would there be any potential color issues with the washed yeast?

Old 01-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #295
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It does make a bit of a difference but washing the yeast is actually what will get rid of most of the color and flavor adding elements of the old beer and old fermentation.

EDIT: I just reread this and realized that I meant "old BEER and "old fermentation" not "old yeast."

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Last edited by dontman; 01-16-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #296
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

you can perform the yeast wash if you used dry yeast correct? I know dry yeast is cheap but it is more of I want to practice kinda thing. It will be ok as long as I make a starter for the washed yeast correct?

Old 01-16-2009, 05:19 AM   #297
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
you can perform the yeast wash if you used dry yeast correct? I know dry yeast is cheap but it is more of I want to practice kinda thing. It will be ok as long as I make a starter for the washed yeast correct?

Yep- go for it. Given the recent shortage of Notty (even though times are now better in that regard) it even makes sense sometimes just to hang onto a strain that is hard to find.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #298
allanmac00
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A little confused here...

When you first add the sterilized water to the carboy to allow the trub to settle out, you want to leave what falls to the bottom when you pour into the larger jar? In other words, are you saying the yeast stays in suspension while the gunk falls to the bottom right away?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #299
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmac00 View Post
A little confused here...

When you first add the sterilized water to the carboy to allow the trub to settle out, you want to leave what falls to the bottom when you pour into the larger jar? In other words, are you saying the yeast stays in suspension while the gunk falls to the bottom right away?

Yep- that's the whole idea. The yeast is the last thing to fall out of suspension.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 01-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #300
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

Any problems with using this technique if you pitched two different types of yeast into the beer you're racking?

Quick Reply