Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #231
GroovePuppy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the inputs but what's at the bottom of my jar is still unclear (pardon the pun). Revvy posted his picture showing most of the bottom layer as trub and everyone agreed. Then a bunch of other people post that it's all yeast. Does Revvy's picture relate to the first jar before decanting into the final jars and so still have trub?

Another question, on reading "How to Brew" the number of active yeast cells is important at pitching. If I have a pint jar with a quarter inch of yeast is there a rough estimate of how many cells that is?

Yet Another Keezer Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #232
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckee56 View Post
Would sealing the final container using a foodsaver, hurt or hinder the yeast? Since they will be dormaint in the refrigerator, I assume the lack of air in the jar could not hurt. Is this correct?
I don't know if it would hurt, but I don't think it is a necessary step time wise.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #233
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovePuppy View Post
Thanks for the inputs but what's at the bottom of my jar is still unclear (pardon the pun). Revvy posted his picture showing most of the bottom layer as trub and everyone agreed. Then a bunch of other people post that it's all yeast. Does Revvy's picture relate to the first jar before decanting into the final jars and so still have trub?

Here's some guy's pic from a new thread...

The creamy band below the liguid is the yeast....it is sitting on top of the trub..

Think about it this way...the mechanics of it...You pour water into a mess of beer, trub and yeast, then you shake it up. The heaviest stuff settles first...that's the trub...The yeast an water is still mingled for a bit, until it too settles out...and it falls on top of the trub...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #234
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovePuppy View Post
Another question, on reading "How to Brew" the number of active yeast cells is important at pitching. If I have a pint jar with a quarter inch of yeast is there a rough estimate of how many cells that is?
There may well be a way to estimate this but books and articles I have read have said that basically you should use 1/2 - 1 cup of slurry per 5 gal batch depending on the OG. Slurry is the 1/4 inch of stuff to which you refer. This means that you would want anywhere from 1/4 quarter to a half of a pint size jar.

If you only have 1/4 inch in each jar you could either use a bunch of jars to pitch or you can use one to make a starter.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #235
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
If you only have 1/4 inch in each jar you could either use a bunch of jars to pitch or you can use one to make a starter.
I believe the original poster of this thread stated that you use the jar to make a starter. I may be wrong, but it seems likely that this would be the best way to get it going.

Salute!
On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #236
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
I believe the original poster of this thread stated that you use the jar to make a starter. I may be wrong, but it seems likely that this would be the best way to get it going.

Salute!
Maybe but if you have enough yeast cells already in the slurry then you should not endeavor to multiply the quantity of yeast using a starter or you risk overpitching. My pint jars are half full of slurry. This means I have a full cup of slurry to start. If I pitched that into a starter I would end up WAY overpitching most beers except for the really big ones.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #237
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:

Salute!

Yep. Make a starter. You'll be glad you did.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 11-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #238
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
There may well be a way to estimate this but books and articles I have read have said that basically you should use 1/2 - 1 cup of slurry per 5 gal batch depending on the OG. Slurry is the 1/4 inch of stuff to which you refer. This means that you would want anywhere from 1/4 quarter to a half of a pint size jar.

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator will help you calc how much slurry you need for pitching.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #239
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04 View Post
Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator will help you calc how much slurry you need for pitching.
Thanks for the link. It is useful. From what I saw there it says you would use 87 ml of slurry to pitch in a 1.048 5 gallon batch. This is around 3 oz.

This makes my point for me. If I already have 5 oz of slurry in my container I definitely would not want to do a starter. I am already overpitching a bit and would be grossly overpitching with a starter.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #240
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Quote:

Salute!
See that's my point. My jars aren't so different from the OP and he's not suggesting pitching a number of jars. John Palmer outlines the same process but doesn't say anything about volume.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Support Your Local Micro

The 1/4" volume in the bottom of my jars doesn't seem hugely different from the overall volume of a smack pack prior to smacking and it doesn't have the yeast nutrient pouch. It just seems that with the discussions of under- and over-pitching and then of reusing harvested yeast someone would have a rough idea what a 1/4" in the bottom of a pint jar would equate to.

One more point of reference is that the volume in the bottom of my jars is way more than a vial of dry yeast. Since my yeast is all settled down it has to be at least in the same density ball park. I'd bet if I dried out one of the jars there's more yeast than a dry yeast vial. But then I am a noob!

BTW Revvy, your pic didn't come through.

Edit: The Mr Malty link suggests for 5gallons of 1.058SG wort I need ~ 50mls of dense yeast slurry (which is what I think I have). It doesn't include a starter option though for slurry.

Edit#2: Would you believe the very people trying to sell you the yeast in the first place are willing to tell you what you need to know about yeast harvesting and population.

"Generally 40-60% yeast solids will correlate to 1.2 billion cells per ml."

http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-yeast-harvest.cfm

So I just need to figure how many mls I have in each jar and calculate starters from there. I'll repost when I get some numbers for discussion.

Yet Another Keezer Build

Quick Reply