New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #2121
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts

Sounds like its working then! I rarely see much activity in a starter, except some creamy goodness if a stir bar is going. And some bubbling activity. But no real krausen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #2122
Soundreflections
Recipes 

I don't see any bubbles on the surface, the stir bar was stopped most of the day and no foam / krausen. I was trying to get extra oxygen in, hence shaking with yeast pitched. Going to try and rig some sort of air filter & pump air in.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #2123
Xtant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpcook1 View Post

I havnt heard that before. Thats interesting. Ive always aerated the starter wort before pitching the yeast into it, like I would a batch or wort, then put an airlock (S-type bubbler) on it. Is that not a good way to do it??
From what I've read ( mostly in this thread) it's how the yeast work. In the presence of oxygen, they eat and happily multiply. Without oxygen, they eat and produce alcohol, but don't reproduce at the same rate when oxygen is present.

When brewing, you oxygenate the wort to kick start the reproduction. The yeast multiplies, then the oxygen runs out and they start making your alcohol.

Alcohol isn't the goal of a starter. The goal is increasing viable yeast and getting them geared up to produce alcohol once you pitch. That being the goal, an oxygen-rich environment is idea for your starter in order to encourage reproduction.

That's why stir plates are used. They keep the yeast suspended and increase the surface area exposed to oxygen with the vortex...

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

DPBISME Likes This 
Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #2124
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant

From what I've read ( mostly in this thread) it's how the yeast work. In the presence of oxygen, they eat and happily multiply. Without oxygen, they eat and produce alcohol, but don't reproduce at the same rate when oxygen is present.

When brewing, you oxygenate the wort to kick start the reproduction. The yeast multiplies, then the oxygen runs out and they start making your alcohol.

Alcohol isn't the goal of a starter. The goal is increasing viable yeast and getting them geared up to produce alcohol once you pitch. That being the goal, an oxygen-rich environment is idea for your starter in order to encourage reproduction.

That's why stir plates are used. They keep the yeast suspended and increase the surface area exposed to oxygen with the vortex...
Seems like a reasonable explanation to me. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #2125
Soundreflections
Recipes 

I Finaly got to my LHBS today & got some yeast. Asked them, they seemed to think all fine "just do another starter". I added some more DME, ran everything up & had quite a bit of krausen visible, even with stirplate on. My problem obviously was in numbers, not lack of yeast.
I pitched the starter when the wort was ready, then had an interesting thought: Does one pitch the whole starter, or let them settle out and throw the clear fluid away? My idea is to pitch while there is good activity going & they are really ready to tackle the larger wort.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #2126
Xtant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Seems like person preference. I've not read one way or the other. Some pitch it all; others decant, then pitch.

I toss it all in. Seems to me like there are two yeasts in there: those actively attacking the sugars and those that have grown bored and dropped out of the fight until something more exciting comes along. You want both. You want the ones already riled up to kick off your fermentation while their buddies come out of their slumber.

Of course, this is purely my opinion and anecdotal and just goes along with the imaginary bar fight I picture in my head when I pitch...

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Old 09-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #2127
wyowolf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I stored some yeast samples back in Jan, tried them out today and no activity Not sure how long they are viable for but they were sealed up pretty tight in the jars. One was a lager yeast, 830 and an Irish Red, dont remember. I see no activity in the IR starter... and maybe a little in the 830, kinda hard to tell.

damn that 830 was some great yeast

there are a few bubbles when i shake the 830 but not many...maybe more time?

I used 2 liters of water...120grs DME

Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #2128
wyowolf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Before shaking...

forumrunner_20130903_054011.jpg

Name:  ForumRunner_20130903_054011.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  36.9 KB

After...maybe some life there after 24 hrs

Old 09-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #2129
MangoMead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Awesome thread! With my current living situation I have to get all my yeast brought in from out of the country and this plus the freeze banking will let me become essentially self sustaining with my yeast cultures once I get them here.

At the very least I should only need to have friends bring me new packets every year or 2.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #2130
DPBISME
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant View Post

I have never seen the explanation before and now the stirplate makes sense.

Quick Reply