Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #2111
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski09 View Post

I got Pacman from a dead guy.
Whaaaaatttttt?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #2112
brewski09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
Whaaaaatttttt?
Dead guy ale. Thx for the laugh

Old 08-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #2113
Soundreflections
Recipes 

I have a Noob question, which I hope has not been posted too much, could not find it going to random pages in this thread. After my first batch (Coopers English Bitter kit) I harvested the yeast (Safale S-04), as per the start of this thread (Thin down with pre-boiled, cooled water, let settle, pour liquid & min dregs, repeated about 4 times {started by decanting ALL dregs} keep in fridge in sealed jar). Yesterday I wanted to to batch 2, took yeast out of fridge in the morning, so they can warm to room temp, when I got home from work I made a starter with about 150g DME, total volume about 2l, added some nutrient. Pitched the yeast when the starter was about 41degC, whole thing was about 29degC when the yeast added, started stirplate, at 18:20, put 40W incandescent bulb against the glass hooked up to my temprature controller, light ON at 28 deg, off at 30deg. This morning there is still no sign of life (Krausen, foam, anything) this morning 05:30. Switched everything off when I showered, afterwards there were some tiny foam patches, so decided to let it run through the day. Did I do something wrong? I was expecting more & quicker activity? My LHBS is only open tomorrow again. Any advice (for next time I think) would be great.
Thanks
Peet.

image-1512649279.jpg

Old 08-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #2114
Xtant

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks like you have an airlock of some sort? If so, that could be the issue. For a starter, you want an oxygen exchange...

Just something to think about...

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #2115
Soundreflections
Recipes 

Thanks - that is just some loose fitting foil. I have a temp probe in there, which looks like a pipe. I have a few times poured the starter / yeast back in to the bottle and shook vigorously to aerate more. There should at least be some oxygen in there, though I need to get an air filter, to put an airline from my small compressor, which should be better.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #2116
Xtant

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Couldn't really tell what you had going on there looking at it on my phone.

I will say it looks very mad-scientist-ish...

Aside from that, I don't know what to tell you. I've only washed yeast once. But i have already used some of it and my Blond has finished up nicely.

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Old 08-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #2117
Soundreflections
Recipes 

I am wondering if my yeast could have died in the fermentation process, as I am not seeing signs of carbonation either. I will try and find the right thread to post about that though.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #2118
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant
Looks like you have an airlock of some sort? If so, that could be the issue. For a starter, you want an oxygen exchange...

Just something to think about...
I havnt heard that before. Thats interesting. Ive always aerated the starter wort before pitching the yeast into it, like I would a batch or wort, then put an airlock (S-type bubbler) on it. Is that not a good way to do it??

Old 08-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #2119
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundreflections
I am wondering if my yeast could have died in the fermentation process, as I am not seeing signs of carbonation either. I will try and find the right thread to post about that though.
Any decrease in gravity??

Old 08-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #2120
Soundreflections
Recipes 

I have to admit guilt - I have been taking temp and activity readings twice a day for fermentation, but never took a reading on the starter. It is now 1008, I will re-read in the morning.

Quick Reply