Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #2091
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 100 Posts

Kinda what I want to do this time. I just washed a third generaion nottinham on Sunday from a cream ale and want to pitch it this upcoming saturday in a pumpkin ale. Should be fine, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #2092
TheLudditeBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm not sure if someone has already posted this in the ~200 preceding pages, but if anyone who does small batches (1-gallon) wants to wash their yeast, I used a quart jar and two pint jars and the measures came out correct for my 1-gallon fermenter.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #2093
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpcook1 View Post
Kinda what I want to do this time. I just washed a third generaion nottinham on Sunday from a cream ale and want to pitch it this upcoming saturday in a pumpkin ale. Should be fine, right?
I don't see why not. I just harvested yeast from a sixer of Bells Oberon and made a starter (I had to step it up a couple of times throughout the week after I began the process). I brewed an Oberon clone a week after I started harvesting the yeast from the Oberon bottles and it was bubbling away within 8 hours after pitching it!

Are you making a starter from the yeast you just washed or are you just planning on pitching it straight from the mason jar? I've always thought about just pitching it straight from the jar, but it eases my apprehensions by making a starter and seeing it show signs of life before I pitch it...

Old 08-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #2094
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 100 Posts

Pitchin it straight from the jar. First time ive tried that.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:19 AM   #2095
markus2982
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just tried washing yeast for the first time tonight thanks to this thread. It was Nottingham that we used for a red ale. Here's hoping I didn't mess up. Had some liquid left my large jar but not too worried about that.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #2096
markus2982
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So I pulled one of the mason jars out of the fridge this morning to see how it is coming along. There defiantly seems to be large amount of trub left I the bottom of the mason jar. Maybe and inch or so. Any thoughts on if this is a normal amount? If it isn't, will it really matter when I go and make a starter?

Old 08-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #2097
WissahickonBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 26

When you do the first yeast wash, do you utilize the primary fermenter solution or the secondary in the glass carboy? Does it matter?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #2098
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Theoretically, the yeast in the primary will be among the higher flocculating cells, because they have already settled out of the beer. Harvesting from secondary will get you yeast that stayed suspended longer, eating sugar more, so better attenuating. The ratio of better flocculating to better attenuating is pretty variable and not easy to measure, so hard to be more specific than that, and the amount you'd get from secondary will vary a lot based on how long you fermented in primary, the temp, the style, etc. So in general I'd say harvest from primary unless you have something specific you are looking for to harvest from secondary.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #2099
WissahickonBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The latest edition of Brew Your Own Mag might be worthy reading for anyone interested in this thread!

Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #2100
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewfist
The latest edition of Brew Your Own Mag might be worthy reading for anyone interested in this thread!
Seriously. Just got it in the mail today. Using some washed WLP862 Cry Havoc (3rd gen on this one, my other one was pretty mutated after about 15 gens) in an IIPA today

Quick Reply