Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #2071
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 219 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBC
Wouldn't using starsan in your yeast washing water have ill effects on the yeast, what with it being a sanitizer and all? Typically you just want to wash with plain water, boiled and cooled to sterilize and remove oxygen. I don't think the starsan addition is necessary or helpful in this case. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your procedure.
A tiny amount is actually good for yeast (or so I've heard), as it's just phosphoric acid. Thing is, you don't need to sanitize water... haha. Boiling serves the purpose of deoxygenating the water, which is more hospitable for dormant yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #2072
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher

A tiny amount is actually good for yeast (or so I've heard), as it's just phosphoric acid. Thing is, you don't need to sanitize water... haha. Boiling serves the purpose of deoxygenating the water, which is more hospitable for dormant yeast.
I'll admit I'm not the strictest person as far as the procedure of yeast washing is concerned. In fact, I may be about as far away as you can get from strict procedure following. With that said, why exactly is it you don't have to sanitize the water? That is one of the two major reasons for boiling it (deoxygenation being the other reason). If you have a sound reason for why the water doesn't need to be sanitized, please share it.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:25 AM   #2073
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 219 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski09
I'll admit I'm not the strictest person as far as the procedure of yeast washing is concerned. In fact, I may be about as far away as you can get from strict procedure following. With that said, why exactly is it you don't have to sanitize the water? That is one of the two major reasons for boiling it (deoxygenation being the other reason). If you have a sound reason for why the water doesn't need to be sanitized, please share it.
. Back when I brewed with extract, I usually topped up with about 2-3 gallons of water... straight from the tap, no sanitation step. I've yet to have an (unintentionally) infected batch. And I've never heard of anyone using StarSan in their water to sanitize it, which I don't think would really work, as you need a certain amount to lower the pH enough to have a sanitizing effect.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #2074
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher
. Back when I brewed with extract, I usually topped up with about 2-3 gallons of water... straight from the tap, no sanitation step. I've yet to have an (unintentionally) infected batch. And I've never heard of anyone using StarSan in their water to sanitize it, which I don't think would really work, as you need a certain amount to lower the pH enough to have a sanitizing effect.
I agree that the small amount of starsan isn't doing much and that poster is asking for an infection. The thing about topping off with the I sanitized water in your beer is any organism is going to be overrun by the very active yeast and the alcohol production. For this application, the yeast is dormant and you have no preservatives (hops or alcohol). I think eventually that you will encounter an infection if you continue without sanitized water.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #2075
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

I used some 3-5 ounces in 1/2-2/3's jar of water. Yeah,there's still o2 dissolved in the water. You'd be surprised how much beer is soaked into the yeast. It still colors the water in the jars the same color as the beer it was used to ferment. After a couple weeks,no infections. The liquid yeast/water mix was filled up to just below the threads,just as in canning. So the yeast settles on the bottom,under a column of water/beer/sanitizer mix. The little bit of air in the head space can't get to the yeast through the liquid. Since the jars are stored in the fridge sealed,there's not much chance of infection.
Nasties need air,moisture & warm temps to thrive. They get none of these in a sealed jar in the fridge.
I did this with 2 batches of WY3056. Next,I have 2 batches of WL029 where as an experiment,I'll boil & cool some water & wash with that. We'll see there isn't going to be much difference under the same conditions otherwise. I also had a thought that since Starsan breaks down into yeast food,& I didn't aerate the water,what o2 is dissolved in it would work with the Starsan to help keep the yeast viable at fridge temps.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #2076
MoreHops
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just thought I'd throw this out there, particularly for the newbies worried about their washed yeast:

I made a 1.3L starter on Monday with washed yeast that was in the fridge since mid-Feb (5 months). Starter was on stir plate for 30h and then put in fridge overnight to settle. Warmed to room T the next day and pitched into 6 gal wort. Krauesen had started to form and fermentation was visibly active within 4h of pitching.

Moral: the yeasties can survive at least a few months in the fridge as long as a starter is made. However, as many have said, the sooner you can use washed yeast, the better...

Old 07-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #2077
TangoHotel
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts

I have a stepped starter rolling right now with some 2308 that was washed from a Bock made in May. It is bubbling at a great rate now for use later this afternoon. Oktoberfest, here I come!

Old 07-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #2078
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Mine will be in the fridge maybe 2 months till I get some brewery expansions done. Aaahhh,growing pains...

Old 07-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #2079
Xtant

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Last Friday I washed some Notty from BM's Centennial Blond. It was the first time I'd washed yeast.

I plan on brewing another batch this week.

So what do I do? Just pour the liquid off and pitch into my starter?

Is washing and reusing yeast that easy? If so, why am I just now doing so?

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #2080
mtnagel
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Yes, that's it.

If you were planning on brewing again so soon, I've heard you could have just grabbed some of the trub at the bottom and saved that in a sanitized contained and either added it to your beer or made a starter. I've never done that because either I brewed the same day I was transferring off the yeast cake and just scooped some out and used in my next beer directly or I washed the yeast.

Washing in general is for longer term storage (weeks up to a year).

Quick Reply