Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #1971
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've used 9 month old washed yeast but did take the time to do a starter that was stepped up to the appropriate size. At that point I might have been better off just buying a new pack but it was Pacman and I couldn't get my hands on anything fresh.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #1972
TangoHotel
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts

Very helpful. I'm making my way through the thread. I was able to harvest some wheat yeast and Wlp001 earlier this month. Glad to see I can start saving some money in this hobby. It becomes expensive!

Old 05-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #1973
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoHotel
Very helpful. I'm making my way through the thread. I was able to harvest some wheat yeast and Wlp001 earlier this month. Glad to see I can start saving some money in this hobby. It becomes expensive!
Once you start washing yeast and bulk buying hops/grains you really start to see how much money you can save. It's nice spending $20 for ~5 gal of IPA.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/cascades-key-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Simcoe Cream Ale
Primary : Soon to be filled
On Tap : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 05-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #1974
TangoHotel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post

Once you start washing yeast and bulk buying hops/grains you really start to see how much money you can save. It's nice spending $20 for ~5 gal of IPA.
I have a crop of hops growing in the yard too. Hopefully I can get a good harvest out of them and cut the costs of buying some hops out. Bulk buys are definitely on the list of things to consider. :-D
Old 05-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #1975
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoHotel

I have a crop of hops growing in the yard too. Hopefully I can get a good harvest out of them and cut the costs of buying some hops out. Bulk buys are definitely on the list of things to consider. :-D
Growing them has been fun but I can't say I get enough to even put a dent in the amount I need for a year lol. Cool though to do a SMaSH and know those are your hops your tasting.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/cascades-key-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Simcoe Cream Ale
Primary : Soon to be filled
On Tap : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 05-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #1976
TangoHotel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post

Growing them has been fun but I can't say I get enough to even put a dent in the amount I need for a year lol. Cool though to do a SMaSH and know those are your hops your tasting.
I only brew about 50 gallons in a year. :-/ maybe I should ramp it up a little! This year I'm up to 25...

A SMaSH would be cool to see how their flavor turns out. Looks like I have some projects ahead of me!

I have Danstar Munich and Wlp001 to play with. Ohhh, What to brew what to brew...

Old 05-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #1977
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm in the process of saving some yeast from a WY1214 cake, hopefully I haven't messed up.

On bottling day I boiled a pint of water before I started racking my beer for bottling. Boiled for 15 min then let it cool on a cold basement floor while I was racking and getting the rest of my bottling equipment around. Once I finished racking I made sure the boiled water was cool and it was.

I poured the water into the fermenter, swirled around and poured into (2) 1 quart jars. I ended up knocking over one of those jars. I let that rest while I bottled about 45 min to an hour after bottling and cleaning up. Ended up going out to dinner so the jar sat for a few more hours. Now it's been sitting for 2 days, had to get some other stuff done and forgot about this little guy

At this point about 1/3 of the jar is dark liquid, very much like the Dubbel that I made, and about 2/3 of what looks like trub, no real "white/beige" layer. Should I just dump it at this point or can I still give it a shake to attempt to get the "heavier" trub to settle to the bottom then decant into smaller mason jars?

Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #1978
mtnagel
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I would think you'd be able to save it. But I would swirl it again to get everything in suspension and then wait the ~20 mins for some of it to settle and then decant the top layer and you should have some of the yeast in there. You can keep doing that swirl, settle, decant until you get as much as you need or you get bored. When you want to reuse it, I'd definitely make a starter to make sure your yeast is good.

I just washed some yeast from a porter I made on National Home Brew day. Our local brewery, Rivertown, gave us the yeast so if I like it, I may use it again. For some reason this stuff didn't want to settle very well, so I just let it sit in my erlenmeyer flask and every 30-40 mins, I'd pipet off the clearer layer at the top into my pint mason jar. I'd then swirl my flask and add more of the trub/water mix if I need to more to almost fill up the erlenmeyer. After several hours I had filled the pint jar and now I have a nice layer of yeast in the jar. I think that's what I'll do from now on to get less trub in there - pull from the top instead of trying to decant.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #1979
Big_Belgian
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Apologies if this has been asked / answered in this long thread, but I wonder why all the yeast washing articles, videos, etc. always use boiling in hot water as the preferred method of sanitizing. Is there any reason I can't use my Erlenmeyer flask and a few plastic jars (these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N48SCU/ref=biss_dp_t_asn), sanitized in star san?

Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #1980
mtnagel
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 164

My understanding is boiling is sterilizing and star san is sanitizing. I heard on the Basic Brewing Podcast that you should be sterilizing when dealing with yeast. They talked about autoclaves and such. With that said, I don't boil my flasks that I use to rinse yeast because they are big and I feel like it's a waste of water and energy to boil them.

I do boil the small mason jars I put the yeast in and do use the boiled/cooled water when rinsing as it is supposedly de-oxygenated. My gut, my science background and some googling make me dubious that we are truly removing any/all the oxygen and even if we are, I bet that some/most/all the oxygen will get absorbed back into the water while it's cooling anyway.

I also star san the jars before putting the rinsed yeast in. I haven't had a bad rinse yet, but I've only done it a few times so far. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply